Chapter 1: Skype Call

I was really into the book I was reading but the constant banging and screaming my brother in acted was fueling my hatred to yell back or respond to his calls.

"Tyler!" My 10-year-old brother, Sam, repeated from the other side of my door.

My feet dangled over the edge of my bed as I began to clench the book harder and harder with every call. Narrowing my eyes, I throw the book to the ground and stomp my way over the door.

"What!" I demand as I violently open the door.

Sam had his hand up as if he was about to knock again. A smile formed on his face revealing dimples on ether cheek. His unbrushed and tangled brown hair hung over his forehead.

"Mom said you weren't answering her calls and wanted tell you that she will be home late tonight," he pauses and frowns, "again."

I force a glare at him.

"So?" I snap.

Rolling my eyes, Sam waists no time to react.

"Means that you need to make dinner." Sam answers.

Feeling my legs become weak, I decide to lean on the door frame and cross my arms. I sigh.

"Fine. But if I make you dinner then you have to clean the dishes." I negotiate.

It takes a few moments for Sam to think about this.

"Deal." He assures.

We shake hands. Then I go to immediately slamming the door and run back to reading my book. I was stuck in a hook at the moment.

Suddenly I was startled by my computer ringing for Skype call between my best friends, Kayla, Samar, Dean, Dani, Jason, and Brandon.

I instantly drop my book without a care and scurry over to my desk. Rolling out my chair, I sit down and accept the call. My screen reveals boxes with all my friends individually in them.

Kayla- Tyler!

Kayla greets while scratching her dog behind the ear.

I smile.

Hey guys!

My eyes searches the screen for my boyfriend and best friend, Dean. Meeting his gaze, Dean blows me a kiss.

Dani - Get a room.

Dani snaps and rolls her eyes.

Brandon - Babe. I would get a room any day with you.

Dani - Shut up.

I could already hear Samar snickering from the far left corner of my screen.

Samar was single and proud of it. She loved to watch Dani and Brandon argue. Being single never bothered her. She always thought love was for people that didn't think their lives were happy without a boyfriend or girlfriend.

Jason - Okay guys. Let's get serious. Summer's ending and we need to do something together. Any ideas?

Everyone stood in silence as we thought hard. Once summer ended, we were all going our separate ways and go to college. It was important that we do something that none of us would never forget.

Kayla - We can teepee freshman?

Dani - We did that last year, idiot.

Like before, Samar snickered and cracked up on her bed. She could be easily amused.

Dani shot a glare.

Why don't we go to that abandoned house on top of White Bridge Hill?

I suggested but as expected, Dani rebelled.

Dani - What do you suggest we do there? Get arrested? I've already been arrested three times in the last year. I can't afford to add another one on my files for college. My stepdad would kill me.

I've never seen Dani so responsible. She'd always disagree with me here and there. But I'd expect a little more effort.

Dean - I think it sounds fun.

Dean supports causing me to blush. Dani immediately rolls her eyes. Samar notices her sudden change in attitude.

Samar - Yeah, yeah. We could play Mafia just like when we were kids.

Brandon - Jeez, we haven't played that in years.

I could already see Dani's defeated face. I almost felt bad for her. Even though she was stubborn at times, she was still my best friend.

And that gives us all the reason to play Mafia at the creepy old house. It'll be fun!

Our conversation became silent as we waited for Dani to respond and agree with our proposition. It was the perfect way to conclude our summer.

Play a creepy harmless game in a creepy harmless house. What could go wrong?

Dani - Fine!

She responds with fake smile. We all cheered and rejoiced.

Kayla - When though?

Brandon - Tonight!

Everyone instantly agrees. However, my heart drops. I was watching Sam and I had already made a deal that I would make dinner for him if he washed the dishes.

Dean - Tyler?

He seemed to say it in a way that I wasn't paying attention. I must've dosed off or something.

What?

I say startled and jump a little out of my chair.

Dean - Are you coming?

I thought about this. This was my last chance to be with my friends before college.

But my brother was going to junior high in a year and he can handle himself. Or at least he needs to start learning.

Hell yeah!

Everyone rejoices. However, my eyes wander to my door where I can hear the shooting and communicating that my brother is doing on his Call of Duty game on Xbox.

I keep telling myself. He's fine and He's old enough to take of himself.

Plus, I figure that I won't stay long. My only problem is... How will I break this to him?