Ryder watched Lewis' lazy strokes as he broke through the glassy surface.

"Your minds elsewhere." Liam commented. Peter looked away feigning devoted interest to drinking from his canteen. "You don't sleep, you don't eat-"

"Enough," Ryder interrupted putting up his hand to silence Liam.

"You two have never been apart for this long." Grinding his teeth Ryder turned and stormed away. "This punishment hurts you too!" He shouted to Ryder's retreating back. Peter knocked Liam's arm and shook his head in warning.

Liam bit his lip and kicked a stone in frustration. Peter watched Ryder leave them, his forehead creased with concern.

"How is Thorn?" He asked in a hushed tone handing Peter the water canteen.

"He's in the underworld," Liam retorted his gaze hard and uncompromising, "how do you think he is?"

Thorn walked through the freezing halls of Lethe. Ash fluttered down like eternal snow – a constant reminder of Mishael's burning fires. The Lord of the Underworld offered a particular misery to any who betrayed him. The fires burnt but did not kill.

"They burn!" Duat had cackled delightedly, "they burn forever!" The memory of the chimera's hysterical laughter sent shivers down Thorn's spine.

"It has been a long time since a necromancer touched down on this realm," Lord Mishael had drawled. Thorn had been forced to his knees before the ancient warlock, clawed hands crushing his shoulders. "Ryder does send me such interesting gifts." Lord Mishael had leant down and caressed Thorn's face, his long nails scraping down the scared skin. "But none as beautiful as you."

Thorn's frown hardened as he marched on – his breath fogging before his ice bitten lips. His heart clenched around a single name. Ryder. He remembered Ryder's hands – the pain as he'd unleashed the raw energy upon Thorn's skin. 'I only want to save you'. Thorn's hands clenched into fists – his fingertips blackened from the cold. This was the first time Ryder had punished him just simply to hurt him.

"You're mine now." Lord Mishael had declared imperiously, "and fortunately I have immediate use of you." He'd looked down at Thorn expectantly. Slowly Thorn had bowed his head in submission. "I want you to go to the Empty Edge – the resting place for all souls – and free the Grim Reaper."

Lewis prowled through the crumbling villa keeping to the shadows, his keen gaze on the man practising in the courtyard. Liam punched a solid ice block, his fist passing cleaning through sending broken chips scattering across the dirt. He turned to his left and grinned at Lewis.

"What are you?" Lewis asked, leaning back against the villa's cool walls. Liam extended his tongue – allowing him a glimpse of its forked tip. "A snake?" Liam laughed.

"My grandmother was a gorgon."

"How did you end up with Ryder?" He asked as Liam picked up a towel to wipe the sweat from his brow.

"Ryder came to the underworld and adopted me as his brother. He saved me." The corners of Lewis' mouth twitched. "What's that look for?"

"I can't make Ryder out. Is he good or is he bad?" Liam shrugged.

"Does it matter?"

Lewis scratched the side of his nose - thinking, "he saved me too I guess."

"You guess?" He snorted, "Vampires are braying for your blood."

"Speaking of blood."

"You're still thirsty?"

"It's a curse."