Chapter 6.2: Revenge of the Ace

Previously: Raiden and Slater had just completed the Fire Boar Quest, and had gained the necessary levels to continue to the next town. However, on the way back to the townplace, they encounter a familiar bunch—the first bandits that had assaulted Raiden. Slater was disabled in paralysis, and Raiden was left to fend for himself. He was beaten, bruised, but he came back with a deadly passive ability—the ability to vanish and create illusionary after-images.

~~~

Slater

The group of bandits frantically looked around, sensing for their prey's presence. Raiden had completely vanished. There was technically no way they can tell where the next strike could possibly be.

"Kill him at once!" Brian shouted in a fury. "Don't let him get away!"

A bandit nervously looked at the leader. "B-But...we couldn't tell where he would strike next."

"Stay alert then!" the bandit leader replied, looking around. "If one of you lets him get away, I'll personally slit your throats!"

"Brian," Adira said, her voice trembling ever so slightly. "We don't have any skill in our group to detect such magickry—"

"I said shut up and stay focused!"

Slater was equally surprised as the group of bandits. He never knew that Raiden held such a deceiving ability. If his friend really had any more tricks up his sleeve, then they may actually have a bigger chance in surviving this than he initially thought.

All of a sudden, Raiden appeared behind a bandit and slashed at him, dealing a serious blow. The bandit, wavering, limped away from the phantom player, pointing his dagger at an unseen opponent.

The other bandits rushed towards Raiden but he had already slipped into invisibility once again. Cursing, the bandit group frantically turned around to locate their hidden opponent. 

"Use your damn skills!" Brian shouted, saliva hurling from his mouth. "Bring him down!"

Raiden appeared once again and slashed at an unaware bandit. Brushing past him, he continued swiftly towards Adira and the other bandit. He parried their blows then countered. Using his passive ability to his advantage, he faked another strike, and the bandits bit into it. Slashing through him, they were surprised to have stabbed nothing but a black wisp of smoke behind.

"Damn it!" Adira said, using a health vial. 

A slash suddenly resounded, followed by a sharp cry. The bandits looked at one of their comrades, and were surprised that he was already down. Behind the fallen bandit, Raiden reappeared, holding his sword overhead. He flicked his sword below, whisking blood away from his saber.

Brian flared with uncontrollable fury. "Get him!"

The bandits rushed at him, using all of their skills to bring their unstoppable prey down. If Slater wasn't totally paralyzed, he could've gaped by now in surprise. Raiden was on a roll. Slater watched in amazement as Raiden surged through the distressed bandit group and materialized and dematerialized, casting Gale Slash and further reducing their speed.

"Electric Cut!" a bandit hollered, aiming to pierce his opponent into paralysis, but Raiden side-stepped and slashed through him. With his invisibility and added speed debuff to his enemies, he was at a big advantage.

The injured bandit retreated, and behind him Adira immediately came to aid her comrade. "Flame Roll!" she exclaimed, and her fists emblazed with dancing fire. She advanced to Raiden, not stopping for a moment as she jabbed at him with infernal punches.

Raiden evaded her punches and parried the last one. Adira abruptly stopped and ducked, unleashing a rapid uppercut. As soon as her emblazoned brass knuckles came in contact with him, Raiden completely vanished once again.