Chapter 4: Dirty Trade

Raiden

Slater immediately steered Raiden next to a small shop by the side of the bustling street.

"I'm pretty sure this is not the Tavern," Raiden scoffed, looking at the small firm in front of him. At the door, hung a wooden sign with a pouch sign engraved on it.

"Of course it isn't," Slater said, scratching his head. "We need to stock up on items before we go on a quest. I bet the basic package you get upon the game's startup won't be enough." With that, Slater dragged him inside, stirring the wind chimes that hung by the door.

The shop was small, but looked nostalgic for some reason. Around lay an assortment of items inside crates, ranging from fruits to weapons. At the end of the room, was a counter where a middle-aged woman stood.

"Good morning," the woman greeted, her wrinkles showing as she smiled. "Anything I can get for you?"

"Hello," Slater casually greeted. His eyes skimmed through the set of items that lay around. "I think we should get a..."

"Some weapons?" Raiden offered.

Slater looked at Raiden's floating tag, noting the Level One tag. "Uh, I think you couldn't equip them yet, so that won't be good."

The woman smiled. "How about some basic herbs? We currently have them on sale. They're not as good as vials, but a bunch of them should do the trick."

"Yes please," Slater immediately agreed. Then looking at Raiden, "You would be needing those. And since it's on sale, it would be a great bargain."

"How much?" Raiden inquired.

"5 dins for each. But it's on sale, so just 2 dins per piece."

"Please give us 25 pieces for each of us." Slater said, checking his terminal.

Raiden looked at him. "Hey, why are you the one who's deciding what to do with my money?"

"It's the best bargain for your level," Slater explained. "And-"

"You should stop deciding what or how from now on." Raiden muttered. "I can manage by myself."

"Fine, fine." Slater waved his hands in the air.

The woman laughed at both of them. "I rarely go across energetic youngsters such as both of you these times."

Slater looked up at her. "Was that supposed to be a compliment?"

"Most likely not," Raiden said, smirking.

The woman laughed again. "Now, now, check your terminals."

A notification soon popped in their terminals, and both of them accepted 25 herbs for the price of 50 dins.

Purchase successful, the system voice notified.

Raiden checked his inventory and saw that he already received the purchased herbs. At the same time, his dins was reduced from 150 to 100.

"See?" Slater said, peering through Raiden's terminal. "You still have enough money left."

They both bade the woman goodbye, and went back to the busy streets of the town.

"Where are you going?" Slater went up to him, trying not to be pushed by the gushing crowd of different races.

"To the Tavern." At the word Tavern, Slater suddenly looked anxious.

Slater laughed shakily. "Shouldn't we go first to the-"