Chapter 4.2: Dirty Trade

Previously: Raiden and Slater heads to the Tavern, where quests of various sorts are accepted. Inside, they come across a conflict with a group of giants called Clan Bonzoi, one concerning Slater. In the midst of the group's leader beating up Slater, Raiden decides to take a stand for his friend.

Raiden

"I have the item. Slater traded it to me."

Slater wobbly turned to him, but he was too woozy to even register Raiden's actions at the moment. Almost immediately, Bonzo released his grip on Slater and turned to him, grinning.

"I bet you're even smarter than this stupid friend of yours," the giant sneered. "Trade it to me now."

Raiden nodded obediently. Bonzo laughed, the sound booming across the pub. The giant turned to Slater as he opened his terminal. "See? It would have been this easy."

Raiden immediately opened his terminal and clicked on, Trade. His body tensed as he watched the giant's movement at the corner of his eye. It seemed to him that Bar'Ghans were strong, but were slow. Looking around, Bonzo probably had about half a dozen giant goons with him in the clan. Initiating a battle won't be easy, or logical even, for that matter.

Noting the structure of the races in the game, Raiden assumed that he might be right about his assumptions of the Bar'Ghan race. Wishing for the best, he selected an item, and proceeded with the trade.

After a second, a notification arrived and the giant quickly accepted the trade without even confirming the agreement.

The giant took his bait perfectly, Raiden thought.

Soon, both of the traded items materialized in their hands.

Bonzo the Bar'Ghan greedily waited for the item to materialize in front of him. He waited, and waited, until a peculiar item unexpectedly popped out in his hand.

It was a basic herb.

Trade successful, the system voice notified.

Raiden waited until a short sword materialized in front of him. On the other hand, Bonzo was deeply confounded.

It took the dumb giant a few seconds before it finally registered to him. "A b-basic herb?!!!"

Gripping the newly traded sword tightly, Raiden posed to strike. "Yeah, you're going to need one after I skewer you with this."

Without warning, Raiden dashed to the giant at blinding speed. Before Bonzo could even blink, Raiden already had the tip of the blade pointed at the giant's crotch.

Almost immediately, the giant's goons stood up, each one enraged by the happening. Raiden calmly turned to them.

"Which is faster, you giants reaching me or this sword piercing through your leader's pride?" he teased. "I wonder what."

Apparently, the half dozen of Bar'Ghans were too dumb to predict what's the answer, so they surged forward, but a loud voice boomed across the Tavern.

"Enough!" the gian leader roared. Everyone on the room froze.

Bonzo faced Raiden. "What the hell do you think you are doing?!" The giant roared, rocking the pub with the intensity. There was no mistaking the giant leader's rage. If Raiden had flinched just once, the giant could grab him and break all the bones in his body without effort. And judging by the current mood of Bonzo, the giant looked like he could break more bones than Raiden ever has.