Chapter Forty-One: Moves and Counter Moves

Valdor's sleep was not restful. He was up before the sun broke the horizon, and the day did not get any easier.

No sooner had Valdor left his room before he crossed paths with his mother. Her rhetoric was a similar version of Landros's, with the addition of motherly guilt. On top of which she piled her insistence of his marital prospects. This inevitably led to an argument they'd revisited more and more often. The only difference was the twist his mother added at the end.

"You better not have any intentions with that girl you brought. She has no rank."

"What?" Incredulity at his mother drenched his voice.

"You heard me. You are not about to toss your rank aside and choose a commoner. A human no less. You have responsibilities and a duty to uphold. Your father---"

"Do not bring Father into this Mother, for as I recall he did not allow others to choose for him. And neither will I. I will choose whom I please, when I please. Excuse me, Mother."

He stormed off infuriated at her accusations. Regret at returning was already gnawing at the back of his mind. Maybe he was trying to escape his responsibilities, and Landros was right. He stopped in mid stride. Landros, right? He shook his head to clear it.

Valdor knew what his true responsibilities were. The world was much larger than court politics and family disputes. But how had his mother found out about Lily? Surely the maids wouldn't have gossiped in her presence? When he reached the courtyard and saw Lily sitting with his sister deep in conversation he had his answer.

Thia smiled sweetly at him from where she sat sipping her tea. "Good morning, brother."

"Good morning, Lily, Thia." He took Lily's palm and kissed it, at which Thia raised an eyebrow. "I just spoke with Mother." The comment was tossed at his sister.

Thia grinned widely into her tea. "Did you? How is she this morning?"

Valdor sat across from them. "In top form my dear Thia. Just as you intended." She abruptly set down her cup. "But we'll talk later." He narrowed his eyes at her.

"Am I missing something?" Lily spoke up.

"Childish games. Nothing important." Valdor reached across the table and grabbed a few grapes. They spent the early morning talking and getting to know one another. On occasion, Valdor would answer a question by his sister toward Lily, creating a history of their relationship. She was a quick study and soon began to answer before Valdor in vague responses.

Soon a page announcing the Crown Prince was expecting them interrupted them. Thia rose with Lily and her brother, "You have an audience with him? What ever for?"

Valdor wrapped Lily's arms around his. "We're off to make your dream come true and give you a sister." He beamed.

Thia hugged them, grinning like a child. "Congratulations! This is all very sudden, but I'm glad you are betrothed afterall."

"What?!" Lily dropped her arms beside her.

"No!" Valdor glared at his sister as he pulled away. "You are as obsessed with matrimony as our mother. Lily is becoming part of our family but as my ward."

"Oh. Well, that's still wonderful. Besides you cannot fault me for thinking that. Remember, it is your duty to one day produce an heir."