Chapter Thirty-Eight: Lathimnar

Throughout their journey, Lucas had tried to have minimal physical contact with Lily to avoid her any confusion or pain. They were now safely within the borders of Kai'lym. The mountain pass, where Lucas had left clear word and instructions of the newcomers, was long past them.

Though she hardly complained, he could only guess the strain that she had been through. They had not stopped, and Lucas had encouraged Lily to lean against his chest and sleep. It was then that he let his mind wander off and plan ahead as he always did.

The bright light and the swaying caused Lily to believe she was adrift at sea. But the constant jostling and the feel of a man's chest at her back cleared the fogginess of sleep. She reached out like she'd grown accustomed, "Nim?"

"No." A soft voice answered by her ear.

For a moment she was startled, but then the events of the other night came flooding back. "Oh, it's you, Valdor."

He sighed at the mention of his given name. "Yes."

"Did I mention he told me about you," her voice trembled. She was unsure if she should broach the subject with her own sorrow still at the surface.

"Did he?"

She nodded slightly. "He spoke of your character mostly. He said I should be wary of you. That you liked to chase girls." She felt the slight chuckle against her.

It was just like Nim to say that. He closed his eyes and pictured him.

"He also said he was very proud of you."

"He did? He was?" Lily did not need to see to note the pain in his voice.

She sought out his hand to comfort him, and squeezed it, ignoring the flashes that swirled through her mind. She still wasn't fully in control of her Sight. "I'm so sorry about Nim. He was my friend. I wish there had been another way."

"There was no other way. I do not believe he would regret his decision to protect you."

"I will miss him greatly." She released him.

"As will I. He was a father to me." Riding on Munbata with a near stranger was not how he had ever imagined he would mourn Nim, but sorrow knew no place or time. Unchecked tears fell from his green almond eyes. Nim had been his playmate as a child, his guide through adolescence, and is mentor into manhood. He had been selfless and had been noble to his final act.

When Lily felt she could speak without her voice wavering, "I know I have no right to ask this, but will you be contacting his family, because I would like to meet them."

"Yes, it is my duty to inform them. But why do you want to meet them?"

"Because I would like to tell them what a remarkable man he was. How much he helped me when I was alone and scared. May I come with you to tell them?" Her request was earnest and it moved him like nothing else could.

"I will see if I can arrange it." He could not commit to more than that. He knew where the twins were, but would not be able to reach them for some time. And as for Citheena, the eldest, they had never seen eye to eye. It certainly would be difficult to explain to her how her father died without revealing too much. He sighed heavily.

They were reaching the outskirts of the elvin capital Lathimnar and soon his identity would be unmasked. Explaining to Lily alone would not be a great difficulty. However, he was not looking forward to the reaction of the others. Well, perhaps Tezaro's. Despite his anguish he grinned sheepishly thinking of it.

"What are the elvin lands like? Describe them to me." She shifted in her seat, eager. "Nim said that I should visit them."

"We are at the outskirts of Lathimnar. Three rivers cross and intersect in various places throughout the city. It is a bustle of commerce, people, and ritual. The city is named after these rivers. Lathios, Thim, and Narsiom. The city rests on three levels as well and has more bridges than people. The sails of ships compete with the number of clouds in the sky. At noon the city shines with thousands of jewels in the water and at night when the city is finally still, the rivers appear as ribbons of shimmering silk. And always, always there are the soothing whispers of the flowing waters." Longing was in his voice.

Lily sighed. Her breath was taken away with just the description. "Oh my, I wish I could see it." She was quiet for a moment, thinking. "But that is not your home is it?"

Valdor jerked back, surprised. "What makes you say that?"

"The way you spoke. It seems more like a faded memory, a romanticized image of what it once was to you."

He wanted to object, but she was right. Nim had given his life to save this girl and he was being to understand why.

Lathimnar was a marvel of immense beauty and splendor, but it did not comfort or welcome him. "No. I live here but this has not been my home for a long time." He sighed with worry. "You're insightful."

"So Ro always tells me." She smiled and shrugged.

"Ro?"

"Aurora."

He clicked for Munbata to stop, "We are near one of the entrances of the city." He held his hand slightly above hers. "If you'll let me, I'll show it to you."

"Yes, thank you." She felt his fingers gently glide against hers, and then locked. His gaze was steady as he slowly scanned the city, resting briefly on the palace that could be seen high and still at a distance.

"Oh my. It's splendid! I've never seen anything like it." They were about to cross one of the entrance bridges. There was no other word to describe it but breathtaking. The bridge was a paradox, immense yet frail, strong and delicate, overpowering yet understated.

He closed his eyes and released her hand, ending her vision. "It's the least I can do for a friend." He paused. "When we get to... my home, you and I must speak. There is much that needs to be explained." He hoped that his secret would remain hidden at least long enough to get her across the city.

"I agree." She gripped tight on the pummel as Mumbata rocked forward once again.

"Valdor, are there any healers in the city?" Hope rang in her voice. "Nim said that perhaps they could return my vision."

"You're with one."

"You're a healer?" She was awed by him.

"Yes, but not a true healer or else I would have already tried. I'm afraid that that talent lies with my cousin." They approached the sentries. If all went well, they'd pass unnoticed.

He led Munbata at an easy pace through the paved streets. The streets had been purposely made wide to accommodate barian mounts, the preferred mounts among Kai'lymi elves.

They rounded a corner when he spotted a familiar carriage. Prismina! The woman was insufferable, not to mention relentless. He had to move fast while there was still time.

Pulling the hood over his head, he ordered Munbata along a less populated path. He knew the city well and soon found the alleyways he had used as an adolescent to sneak amongst the crowd. The way home had never seemed so endless, but they had finally arrived through a less conspicuous entrance.

They came in through the stable entrance, not wanting to draw any more attention while still being close enough to one of the main buildings to enter. Just as he was about to dismount he had a thought, "You are certain you do not always 'see' when you are touched? I do not want to cause you to stumble getting down."

Lily shook her head. "Don't worry so much. I have to concentrate for that to happen so I will simply trust in your guidance."

He dared to take her hand, "You honor me."

"As I said before, Nim trusted you, that is all I need to know."

He was humbled and had no answer. Instead, he swung his leg over Munbata, landing gracefully, and then slowly eased her down. He led her onto the steps at the foot of the courtyard, slapped Munbata away to the stables, and then continued to lead her in further.

"Where are we?" She waited patiently for his touch to guide her.

"Home. We're home." His answer was elusive.

*~~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~*

A/N: Another update, yea! I want to send a HUGE thanks and hugs to @Somethingshere @azimodo and @KathrynLauren for not just being awesome cheerleaders, you gals are my support system and fabulous writers in your own right.  Until next time!

You know what to do 😉