Chapter Ten: A Different Path

Tezaro locked the door behind them, but never released her. He looked into her eyes, to her lips and back again then cupped her face. As he inched closer, Aurora was certain he was going to kiss her, but in a rush he was at the other side of the room. Miles from her.

He threw up his hands slicing the air, then gruffed, "That cannot and will not happen." His words carried venom. Running his hand through his dark hair, he turned to face her. "I need to get you to Armindia. The sooner we get to Anthonias so much the better."

"I don't understand." She moved a step closer. "What do you mean?" Her eyes roamed his face for answers.

With an exasperated sigh he answered, "Probably so. Look, all you need to know is that as soon as this storm breaks, I'm taking you to Anthonias."

She had no time for hurt feelings. "What about Lily?"

"What about her?" He stood with his arms crossed as immobile as a statue.

"Excuse me? If you think I'm following you to see some guy I've never met without first saving Lily you're wrong! I only came because of her!" She marched herself right up to him and jabbed her finger on his chest.

As if he was wiping dirt of his clothing, he swatted her finger away. "I do not have time for this! We are not going to Mithoran or anywhere near it. You are a target. You will be safest with Anthonias in Armindia."

"Great plan. Only problem is, I'm not going!" Her cloak sliced the air in the midst of her angry turn. "I don't care what I have to do or where I have to go. I'm finding Lily. That's all that matters." Angry tears threatened to spill.

Tezaro blocked her path. "Are you suicidal? You do not know this land or any one that can help you. How will you find her?" His logic was undeniable.

"I don't care. I'll find a way. I'm not just going to give up on her. How can you be so cold? I'm nothing but some quest to you, aren't I?" She flung the accusation at him, hoping he'd deny it.

Without hesitation he met her furious glare and replied, "Yes."

Her eyes grew large in disbelief. Her voice pleading, "What could possibly be more important than saving someone's life?" His muted response angered her further. "Answer me!"

"Justice." His face had become a stone mask.

"What?" She shook her head, confused.

He took her by the shoulders though she tried to resist. "Listen to me. Once I get you to Anthonias everything will be fine. He will help you; afterall, you're the Key. You'll probably get whatever you want. The best warriors Armindia has to offer at your disposal. Lord Fennaris will not stand a chance. And you'll be able to save your friend."

He continued to persuade her into his way of thinking. "The best choice you can make for her is to go to Armindia. Talk to Anthonias. Otherwise, you may be walking into a trap. No, listen. Think about it. Why else would they take her? She is a link to you. They may be expecting you to follow her. It's you they want. Not her." 

Silence echoed past the gritty wind that blasted against the adobe buildings.

Aurora exhaled loudly and lowered her head. "Maybe you're right. Lily would not have been involved if it weren't for me. Fine. We'll do it your way. How far away are we from Armindia?"

Aurora sunk down on the bed with the appearance of defeat. If he thought she was giving up that easily, Tezaro had yet to know her. Somehow, tomorrow she would be one day closer to finding Lily.

"With the mounts I have secured for us, we should reach the border within two days. But reaching Crown Guard, the capital will take much longer." Satisfied with her acceptance, Tezaro turned and retrieved a jar from a bag.