Chapter Thirty-Six: Phoenix Fire

Underground in the dungeon level the others raced to find Lily. Owen caught the key Tezaro threw at him after removing it from a guard and turned to open the gate. A few steps down they entered the cell rooms. To the right two figures huddled together in adjoining cells.

Aurora rushed past Master Owen. "Lily? Lily!" Aurora held on to the cell bars straining to see her. "It's me."

Lily began to stir as she heard the familiar voice with disbelief. "Ro? Is that you?"

Excitement coursed through Aurora. "Yes. We've come to free you!" Aurora noticed that Lily rose with the help of the ragged figure in the neighboring cell. When standing straight, she noticed the older prisoner was an elf holding Lily's hand.

Lily's body language spoke volumes of her mistreatment, but they were unprepared for what they saw when she lifted her eyes. Aurora gasped at the sight of white film that marred Lily's vision. "Oh, Lily what have they done to you? It's my fault." Tears pooled in Aurora's eyes as she took the key from Master Owen to unlock the door. Only it wouldn't open.

"I'll go check the other guard." Tezaro offered.

"There's no need." Nim supplied as he walked Lily closer to the door. "Lord Fennaris is the only one who has the key to her cell." It was an unexpected answer.

"Then I'll open it." Master Owen had remained quiet, studying the similar magical pattern of Lily to Aurora's. Something else he would have to consider later.

Master Owen stepped forward and spread his palms over the lock. Tremendous heat emanated from them, turning the metal to a bright hot orange, then a glowing white. As he slowly lowered his hands scorching the metal it melted and oozed in clumps to the floor, sizzling on the ground. Tezaro then pulled the door and Aurora rushed in and embraced Lily.

The sudden contact with Aurora brought Lily to her knees with a barrage of images. She cried out more in shock than pain. Aurora, afraid that she had somehow hurt her, released Lily while she gasped for breath. "What's the matter? What's wrong?" Aurora concerned and confused reached out to comfort her but was stopped by the elder elf.

"You overwhelmed her vision. Leave her be a moment." He kneeled beside her after thanking the mage for his release.

"Who are you and what are you talking about? I thought she was blind." Master Owen and Tezaro studied the elf closely.

"My name is Nim and she is not entirely blind." Nim answered Owen as he gently moved to help Lily. "She can see using your sight as her own, but you must have physical contact." Nim cooed in Lily's ear then tentatively reached for her elbows and helped her up.

"That's amazing." Aurora hovered nearby, dumbstruck.

"That is not possible."

"And yet here she is." Nim countered Owen's remark while keeping Lily steady. Aurora then noticed how quickly Lily's hand reached out to the elf.

"I'm alright Ro. I just haven't gotten the gist of things. And I can't always see. Nim's been my comfort." She faced them with quiet determination.

"Great, then you can lead her out." And just like that Tezaro was back in control as he motioned to Nim. "Let's get moving. Introductions and explanations can wait. Follow me." Tezaro took the stairs several at a time as Aurora followed with backward glances at Lily and Nim, while Owen followed last.

Lucas pushed the dagger further at Eri's throat

Lucas pushed the dagger further at Eri's throat. Struggling with her, he turned toward the marching patrol. "I caught this one snooping about." He forcibly shoved her to make her step forward. Eri's eyes gleamed furiously, but she said nothing.

The guards approached and glared at them before answering. "Good work. One of the patrols failed to check in. She must have something to do with it." One of them moved to help Lucas restrain her. The first guard continued, "She's a human. Why is she still armed? And your---"

Before he could get any closer Lucas yelled, "Watch out! She's loose!" He flung Eri forward directly at the guard.

Eri didn't waste any time. With a flick of her wrist Eri had a dagger in hand aimed at the guard. Lucas punched and kneed the other guard in the stomach then rammed him head first into a wall.

Tezaro came running up the corridor first as he met up with them. Lucas was prepared to talk fast, but Tezaro halted him. "I saw what happened." He eyed Lucas's mismatched outfit. "You best take off that helmet before one of us accidentally stabs you."

"You wish." Lucas snorted.

"Actually, I was talking about Eri." Tezaro nodded her way.

Lucas found Eri's steady gaze. She didn't look please over his little charade, so he decided to remove his helmet. Just in case. He didn't want to give either of them an excuse.

Eri looked down the hallway and saw her brother herding three figures towards them. "Who's he?"

Lucas stood motionless staring at the new pair. No one noticed the look of recognition that passed between the elves.

"His name is Nim. And apparently Lily's guide." Eri raised an eyebrow at Owen's comment.

"We do not have much time. One of the patrols has already been missed." As if to punctuate Eri's warning a horn blasted the air. They ran through the archways but the fastest way was across was the open courtyard.

Like ants swarming out of a hill, guards descended into the courtyard. Ever in charge, Tezaro turned to Owen. "We'll clear the way. You guide them out. Do not wait for us." His sword ignited as he rushed out with Eri to the courtyard, his steel clashing against the several opponents as once.

Lucas's arrows rained throughout the yard, always watching the high walls for any arrow fire from above. Master Owen blasted a few guards before dashing across the yard. Several guards were already lying at their feet and more quickly followed.

"Come on, Lily, we've got to go." Aurora raced out after Master Owen, glancing back as Nim and Lily made their way. More guards appeared and Tezaro along with Eri were quickly engaged once more, while Lucas continued to shoot at the wall guards. They were caught close to the tunnel through which they'd entered, but there was no shelter to be had.

Aurora looked around the courtyard. Lucas did not have an endless supply of arrows, and soon more guards would arrive. Eri and Tezaro would surely be shot at this rate. Pushing aside her nerves she cast out her shield over them. Each protected by a small barrier from above, but that left her immobile with concentration.

Nim and Lily hurriedly followed Aurora from the hallway. He focused on his steps and not on their surroundings to be able to better guide Lily. They were half way across the yard when he felt the prickle of magic from behind. Nim whirled back to see Mimika standing at the tallest battlement, casting a phoenix fire spell aimed at Lily.