Chapter 3

I tied up my shoes and began walking out the bedroom door. Today I was going to the mall, without anybody tagging along. I spent way too much time at home. I really need to go somewhere. I thought as I went down to the kitchen. Nobody was down there, which was good because I wouldn't have to deal with anybody. I just grabbed an apple and hurried out the door even though it was only 6:30 in the morning. My mom didn' t want me using her brand new car, so I took her second one. It was a bright red Mitsubishi and it was my favorite out of all of our other ones.

I started the car and drove to Andi's house to pick her up. Andi is my only friend and the only person who understands me very well. She's a great friend and very supportive. I could tell her almost anything. I pulled up to her house and walked up to her front door. But, Andi opened the door before I even knocked. "How did you- " I started. "Best friend instincts." She answered. I raised my eyebrows and crossed my arms. "Alright, I saw you come up the walkway. But, don't you wanna go somewhere today?" She asked excitedly.

"We're going to the mall today. I'm in the mood for shopping. Wanna come with me?" I asked. "Sure, let's go. I could use some new clothes. My old ones lost the value."

•×•×•×•×•×•×••×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×

"Omlg! I'm in heaven! All these designer clothes!" Andi exclaimed as we walked down aisle twelve. "Omlg? What does that mean?" I asked her. "Oh my Lady Gaga. I know it's cheesy, but I- oh no! Alex, look over there." Andi whispered while pointing down the aisle. When I looked down the aisle, my heart sank to my stomach. Maddie, the bitch that keeps teasing me. Maddie finally noticed me and grimaced. "Alex, this is the women's clothing store. I just hope you know that the men's clothing store is downstairs." Maddie said while smirking.

"Maddie mind your own goddamn business! Alex is a girl, too. So, she could shop in a women's store if she wants too. Why do you even care if she's different, you barely talk to her anyway! Let's go, Alex." Andi said as she pulled me out the store. "Alex, you can't let Maddie and everyone else push you around like that. You really need to stand up for yourself." Andi said. "I know, but what can I do? It'll be pointless to tell her and plus, summer break will be over in two days and then it'll be back to how it normally was." I stated truthfully.

Andi glared at the ground and cracked her knuckles. "No, it won't go back to how it normally is because I'm gonna make sure nobody even looks at you the wrong way. I'm here for you Alex, just remember that." She said with power in her voice. When she said that, I knew that she wasn't kidding. Andi was the kind of person that doesn't break her promise and she doesn't let her friends feel pain.

•×•×•×•×•×•×••×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×

"You know, I could try hooking you up with that lover boy if you want. It'll be a great thing for both of us." Andi said while spinning in her desk chair. We were done shopping and decided to hang out at Andi's house for the rest of the evening."How will it be good for the both of us if I'm the only one that gets a boyfriend? Wouldn't it be good for only me?" I asked her. "It will be good for the both of us because you will get a boyfriend and I won't have to see you sad anymore." She said as if it were that simple.

"But, aren't you mad that I have a crush on your brother? I mean he is your brother, usually the girls would be more protective." Andi smirked, "Naw, you seem to be a better choice for my brother, other than all of girls in the school." She twirled her chocolate brown hair around her finger. "I don't know if I could do this, though. Jason may think that it's disgusting for a transgender to like him. You know, because I was born a guy." I said sadly.

"Alex, I don't ever want to hear you say that! You know sometimes you really piss me off, your always crying over what other people say even though it's their opinion. You need to learn how to stand up for yourself and have self confidence. You are a beautiful and very talented girl, if a guy doesn't like you just because you were born a boy, fuck them! They were never good for you in the first place." Andi yelled at me.

She had tears in her eyes and wiped them away before they could fall. "Alex, you're a very kind and loving person. I wish I could be like you, but you just need to be more confident in yourself." She said softly in my ear, I could tell that she was trying hard not to cry her eyes out. This was the first time that I've seen Andi this way, she was always so bold and daring. She never shed a tear because she said that tears meant weakness.

"Andi, you don't have to protect me. I can fend for myself." I told her as I gave her a hug. "Alex, I know you can but, just watching everybody tease and take advantage of you like that, it just makes my blood boil. I've watched you ever since I came to America. You were always pushed around and called hurtful, hurtful names. But, you stayed strong and never shed a single tear. What happened to that person Alex, what happened to the girl that wasn't afraid to show who she really was? What happened to the girl who showed kindness to the people that betrayed her? What happened to that brave and powerful girl, that always smiled, every single day? I want that part of Alex back, I want the girl who was brave enough to look reality right in the eye. Where is she, Alex? Where is that brave little soldier? Where is she?"

I've never heard Andi say that kind of stuff, she has never said anything from the heart before. Usually she would just keep things short. What happened to her?

Suddenly, my phone started to ring. "Hello, this is Alex." I said. "Alex can you help me organize my shoe collection, it will be much faster if we both do it." My mom said. She sounded very tired and I could hear my demon brothers yelling in the background. She was in a lot of stress. "Alright, I'll be right over. Bye" I hung up and put the phone back in my pocket. "Sorry Andi, I gotta go help my mom organize her shoes."

I left Andi's house and drove back home. I could literally hear my brothers from outside of the house loud and clear. "Deuce, give me my phone back you bastard!" I heard Derek yell. How do these guys have so much energy? It's almost as if their blood is soda! "Mom, I'm home!" I yelled as I stepped through the door. Suddenly, everything got quiet and still when I walked in the kitchen.

Derek and Deuce were staring at me with unreadable expressions, my dad was reading a newspaper (I didn't know that people still make newspapers) and my mom was sitting at the kitchen table, massaging her temples while whispering to herself. "Mom, is everything okay? What's wrong?" I asked her with panic in my voice. "Oh, nothing sweetheart. I'm just a bit tired, that's all. But, let's go and organize those shoes.

•×•×•×•×•×•×••×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×•×

"Okay, I really didn't need you to help me with shoes. I called you here to see if you liked this outfit I bought you." Mom said as she looked through her closet. The outfit that she pulled out was completely gorgeous and casual. It was a one strap short summer dress with the colors black pink and white. "Mom, I love it! Where'd you get it?" I said. Mom just shook her head and put her fingers on her lips. "Mother's little secret."

I ran my fingers along the soft fabric of the dress. Thank you, mom. You're the best mom any girl could have. Then, I examined the shoes that mom gave me to go with the dress. They were black strapped wedges that looked like they were really easy to walk in. So, I slipped them on and practiced walking. I was right, these shoes were really easy to walk in and they did wonders for my legs.

I walked back and forth in them for a few more minutes before I took them off. I smiled as I looked in the mirror. It was like I was becoming that little girl again and it felt great. I was ready to take on high school and Maddie because I wasn't afraid to be myself. You better watch out Maddie! I'm gonna make this the best year ever whether you like it or not! Because I'm not afraid to write my own story!