Chapter XVIII

"I'm pregnant," she muttered and I felt my stomach drop.

"How is this possible?" I whispered, my whole world spinning now. I knew she would interpret my question differently than what I really meant. 

"I don't know," she cried. "We used a condom but it must have broken. My period was late so I took the test just in case and now... Oh my god," she started to cry again.

"Are you sure it's Nathan's?"

"I'm positive. He's the last person I had sex with in over a year. I know it's his." I didn't know what this meant for her or what it meant for the baby. But I placed my hands on her knees that were pressed to her stomach in attempts to reassure her.

"We'll figure something out, okay?" My heart was beating out of my chest and I felt I was going to be sick. But I kept a smile on my face. She didn't need any more reason to worry.

"You need to tell him." Her eyes widened and she shook her head violently.

"No, I can't. I can't face him Olivia," she wiped her cheek.

"He needs to know." I watched thousands of thoughts stir in her eyes and she looked away.

"Can you tell him?" she whispered and I nodded.

"I'll be right back," I smiled, my knees feeling weak as I stood up straight. I walked out, pulling my phone out with shaking hands and dialled Nathan's number.

"Answer me," I muttered as the line was ringing.

"What?" He finally answered the call with a harsh voice.

"We've got a problem," I walked further away from the bathroom, making sure Sarah didn't hear our conversation.

"Tell me." I didn't know how to say it lightly so I blurted it out all at once.

"Sarah's pregnant." The line went quiet for a while.

"Are you sure?" he finally spoke up.

"I saw the test." He began cussing across the line and I shut my eyes, squeezing them tight.

"How is this possible?" I whispered.

"I don't know," he grunted.

"What do I do? I have a hysterical girl in the bathroom." I heard her low whimpers from down the hall. "She's scared Nathan."

"I know. I know that Olivia," he sighed over the line and I could picture him pulling at his hair.

"She needs you," I whispered.

"I can't console her anymore. Not with this."

"Then what am I going to do?" I said impatiently.

"I'm coming, just stay by her," he finally said and hung up.

___

I sat at the kitchen table, tracing a drawing with my finger on the wood. I eyed Jonathan who was sat across me, his expression neutral as always, but he seemed a little more on edge. He noticed my staring and I looked away, leaning back in my chair.

I was expecting a scream to come from upstairs. Nathan had taken Sarah to her room and he was going to tell her everything. All Jonathan and I could do was wait and see how she would take it. But the house was quiet, it's like I was all alone.

I heard feet come down the stairs and I stood up, expecting to have to comfort a hysterical girl but it was only Nathan, who was still putting his shirt back on as he came down, his wings already tied up. He walked into the kitchen, Jonathan finally standing up as well.