Chapter XIII

I raised my hand and knocked on the door. I regretted it as soon as it happened, but I stayed standing there, waiting for him to open.

"Olivia," Mr. Thompson said in surprise. I had gone to school early that morning. There was barely anyone around but I knew he would be in his class. He had probably been there since six this morning. "What brings you here?"

"I was wondering if you could help me with something." He eyed me a moment. He was curious. He moved aside and let me in. I always found his classroom fascinating. He had a bookcase filled with old novels and artifacts hung on his wall.

"What do you need?" he smiled. He crossed his arms over his chest.

"I was wondering if you have any books on angels," my voice was high pitched and I cleared my throat once I'd finished talking.

"Have you tried the Bible?" he laughed and let my shoulders fall slowly, letting out a laugh.

"Maybe something a little smaller."

"Well, you'll have to be a little more specific."

"Do you have any books on Lucifer," I said quietly.

He thought for a second. "I think there is one in the library," he said, walking to his desk and retrieving a piece of paper. He scribbled a few words on it and handed it to me. 

"Thank you," I smiled.

"May I ask what this is for?" he leaned against his desk.

"For my general knowledge," I shrugged off his question.

I began walking out, readjusting the purse strap over my shoulder. "Tell me if you find anything interesting," he added.

"No problem, Mr. Thompson," I waved and left. The library was on the other side of the school. I had never seen it before but I had heard it was beautiful. It was one of the first constructions and still had the original long wood tables.

I opened the door and walked inside. The librarian raised her head in surprise. She probably didn't expect to see a student so early. Dear God, I'd become that girl.

The roof was high, creating a dome over my head and there were two levels of book shelfs and work areas. The tops of the windows were decorated in stained glass. I looked down to the paper in my hand and walked along the rows until I reached the last one.

My eyes scanned the shelves and picked out a book that caught my attention. It looked old and warn out, the spine beginning to peel away. You could distinctively see the words 'Lucifer' written in red letters. I spent the whole night pondering. I barely knew who he was, and fact or fiction, I was going to take what I would get.

I sat down at the nearest table and began flipping through it. It was thick and the pages were covered in small letters. I was beginning to lose my focus until I landed on a page with a portrait. It was him, sitting bare with his knee raised up and his arm hiding part of his face. His hair was curly but his eyes didn't seem right. To the artist's defence, for someone who had never seen him, he wasn't far off. Actually, no mortal had ever really seen him, or at least never realized who they were looking at. It appeared to be a Renaissance portrait. His body was sculpted and built. He was quite beautiful, no one could deny it. But he had this fury deep in his eyes, one that would make you fear the very glimpse of him.

And then my eyes travelled to text beside it.

You were the seal of perfection,
Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
You were in Eden, the garden of God;
Every precious stone was your covering:
The sardius, topaz, and diamond,
Beryl, onyx, and jasper,
Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold.
The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes
Was prepared for you on the day you were created.
You were the anointed cherub who covers;
I established you;
You were on the holy mountain of God;
You walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones.
But you corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendour.