Chapter V

Today was a little better. My presence had become a normal thing in the district; I went from the centre of attention all the way back down to the bottom of the social ladder and I couldn't be more relieved.

"Earth to Olivia," Sarah tapped my shoulder and I jumped. I had become distracted and everyone was beginning to notice. I hadn't slept again last night, too busy letting my mind dabble in the darker parts of my subconscious. 

"Sorry," I muttered. Nathan and Sarah had dragged me outside to the tables at the back of the school for lunch. The sun was warm for mid-September, but there was a northern breeze that kept you cool. I had chosen the one under the giant Oak tree, even with Sarah's protest to sit in the sun so she could work on her tan. 

"Aren't you warm?" I commented and Nathan shook his head. He was wearing a large jacket in this heat.

"No," he took a bite of his sandwich. "I'm fine."

"Come on you're going to start chaffing," Sarah attempted to take his jacket off but he shrugged her away.

"I said I'm fine," he said more sternly and she finally backed off. He eyed me a few moments and looked down at the table. He seemed more on edge lately. An uncomfortable silence had settled between us so I looked around to see what other people were up to. Only a few other students were sitting outside, leaving full of other tables empty. We had ventured ourselves far enough so that you could only see the flag at the very top of the school above the tree line. Some leaves were beginning to change colour due to the cold nights, leaving us eager for more. In a few weeks, the scenery would be filled with vibrant shades of red and orange and I couldn't wait.

The two continued to bicker, keeping their voices down, knowing that I was sitting right in front of them, but I didn't really pay much attention. When the tension reached its peak, Nathan grabbed his bag and stormed off towards the school, not even bothering to look back.

"I don't know why he's been acting this way lately," she sighed. She looked completely defeated and I began to feel a bit sorry for her. "Could you go talk to him?" she lifted her head, her eyes glimmering with hope.

"I really don't know what I could say," I stuttered. 

"He moved to town last year and we became really good friend, but since we've started going out, he doesn't tell me things anymore."

"Why would he tell me? I barely know him."

"You're new and he needs someone to vent to. I know this is unconventional, but he'll talk to you." I stared at her a few moments and I nodded.

"Thank you," she said sincerely as I stood up. "Can you tell me what he says?" she hesitated.

"Of course," I smiled. I began walking towards the school. He had surely gotten inside by now, and with the size of the place, there was a good chance that I wouldn't find him. I walked down the school hall that was always quiet during lunch hours. I eventually turned the corner, but stopped at the sight of Nathan at the end of the corridor. His face contorted in pain and I hid behind the wall, watching him carefully. After glancing around, he lifted his white t-shirt under his jacket to reveal a golden strap around his abdomen. He untied it and as it released, a bulge rose on his back and my eyes widened.

"Miss Taves," someone cleared their throat behind me and I turned around, my heart thumping in my chest. "Is there a problem?" Mr. Thompson, my history teacher asked. I shook my head.

"You aren't allowed to loiter in the halls. Cafeteria or outside," he said harshly.

"Sorry," I muttered. I looked back one last time where Nathan was standing, but the hallway was left empty.