Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

Inside Meredith's own room, she locked the door and pulled open the shades for the first time in a long time. Belknap Avenue held two more police officers that zoomed past before taking a quick left, away from the university. Many people called Superior many rude names, but in all honesty, Meredith came from the Twin Cities' metro area; Superior wasn't that bad. A few gunshots were fine compared to other things Meredith heard in her hometown.

The sirens stopped and there was the silence of Superior again. More semi-trucks carrying wooden logs drove down Belknap. More rusted cars hopped over potholes. Ice and snow covered the sidewalks. It was just another university town.

Opening her window, Meredith listened for more sirens, which came. Two ambulances came from the other direction of Belknap, pulling to their right and away from the university. No more than a minute later, the sirens stopped as the ambulances stopped moving. She watched, even as her phone started to ring. Glancing down, of course it was Harry.

"Hiya," she answered. "How was your day?" Meredith kept her eyes on the lookout for any action.

"Mere, where are you looking?" Harry asked carefully.

"Outside."

"Is there something interesting going on outside?"

"Actually, I assumed that's the reason you were calling." Meredith put her eyes to Harry. "You don't know?"

"No."

"Wow, the paparazzi are losing their game." She went back to looking outside.

"Mere," he warned.

"There were gunshots," she said nonchalantly, again. Huffing, she couldn't believe how American she sounded. Meredith turned to face Harry via FaceTime.

"I'm concerned."

"I knew you would be."

"I'm concerned that you sound happy."

"That's not what I thought you would say."

"You're obviously fine. Mere, have you shot a gun before?"

"God, no." She scoffed. "I hate guns. They're stupid and they kill things."

"It's good to know you're not homicidal." Harry was in his pajamas, and Meredith knew that because she had worn those before. They were so comfy and warm. If Meredith wanted money, it was for nice pajamas like those.

"Not true. When I kill someone, I want to look them in the eyes."

"When?"

"If," she corrected. "If I kill someone, I want to look them in the eyes."

 "Um...." Harry scratched his head, unsure what might come next out of her mouth. She was so used to gunshots that she looked outside and was eager for some action to happen. "Mere, you might need to see a therapist."

"I already do."

"Have you brought this up?"

"No. I have too many other issues. Why?"

"No reason. How was your day?"

Meredith shrugged. "Same old, same old. I had some classes. I did some work. I read a bit. I watched some TV. I ate. I went to the bathroom. I have duty tonight. We'll see what happens then. That's my excitement usually."

"Really?"

"I have a very boring life when I'm not with you, Harry," Meredith admitted. "It's a lot of classes and homework, watching funny videos on YouTube, the occasional binge of Netflix. It isn't much, but it's the best that I have going for me. And how was your day?"

"It was good, boring," Harry said. "I didn't have an event today."

"What do you do on your days off?"

"Sleep. Some other work. Sometimes I go out. Maybe I'll go flying," he listed. "I usually try to get out of London, away from the paparazzi."

"Yeah, I didn't do that today," Meredith confessed. "I had been doing well at not saying anything to them, but I fucked up today. So, um, have fun tomorrow," she offered. "I'm sure they've got some things up their sleeves, but at least the paparazzi here are currently gone."

Harry arched an eyebrow.

"They got scared off by the gunshots."

"As most people do."

"Weaklings."

"Mere, um, I think--" He stopped and looked toward the door. Someone had obviously come inside. "Mere, I'll call you tomorrow."

"I'll still be here with the same old schedule. Have fun." Meredith hung up and looked out her window again. The lights and sirens had gone, but she desperately looked for any bit of action.