Ryder let her go and pulled back but he held out his hand. Gritting her teeth Chloe allowed him to lead her down the corridor. His hand was warm and enveloped hers.

"So you don't like mirrors, or being touched or suspicious feathered stalkers." His tone was light as he led her out into the hotels dilapidated inner courtyard.

"Or wellies – but that's just a matter of principle."

"Understandable."

Chloe watched Ryder closely. Irrenhaus was full of cameras and now she knew it was officially televised. Had he watched some of the footage? Had he seen what had happened to her and Derby and the others? She felt sick. "How do you feel about opera?"

"Do I get to dress up fabulously?" It was strange – like she was having an out of body experience. It was the only explanation for how she was talking so normally when inside she was a complete mess.

She'd wanted to kill the demons who ran Irrenhaus. If she'd known men were involved in the set up she'd have dreamt of murdering them too. Now she was potentially sat across from one of the guilty ones.

"You'll be the most beautiful woman there." He promised smoothly. Chloe rolled her eyes. She was in another woman's body so as a compliment it was a complete fail. But then again it was the body that he cared for. Not her.

Ryder laughed and Chloe gave him a questioning look. "You're...completely fucked up by what you've been through." Chloe pulled a face. "So am I. I feel a little less alone when I'm with you." Chloe stared at him.

"I can trust you?"

"You are my life." Chloe released a shaky breath. She saw Thorn over Ryder's shoulder, entering the courtyard. Their eyes met and Chloe's heart skipped a beat.

The next day they took a water taxi to San Marco Giardinetti. Chloe stood at the back of the taxi enjoying the views and refreshing breeze – it was also a good opportunity to talk.

"It might be part of his plan to bring down Wabyt." She spoke softly. The gentle giant shrugged his broad shoulders. "You don't think so?" Thorn bent down so that he could whisper in her ear.

"Ryder wants power. He wants it to keep those he cares about safe." Chloe sighed. Understandable.

"More then he wants to do the right thing." Thorn nodded, his expression grim.

Chloe pursed her lips thoughtfully.

"Is that Elle?" She asked, inclining her head to the taxi's interior in which Ryder was in close conference with the woman who'd left the base with them. Thorn nodded. Chloe twisted her hair around her finger. The prophetess that Ryder had been so intent on rescuing. What did it mean that she hadn't foreseen Chloe betraying him? Did that mean it wouldn't come to that?

"Never let her read your hand." Thorn warned. She put her hands flat against her stomach – shielding her palms from view.

"Ok."

Thorn felt a tug on his sleeve. He looked down at one of his cold children. She was shuffling her feet awkwardly looking up at the Chloe with wide hungry eyes. Thorn sighed and moved slightly, gently ushering the phantom to leave them alone. "Are you a warlock too?" He shook his head, his lips compressed in a hard line.

"I'm a necromancer."

Chloe's eyes bulged, "like...like dead people?" Thorn nodded, studying her expression. "Holy fuck!"

"Special day Thorn?" Ryder approached them with quick strides. His gaze hardened as he noticed Chloe's flustered expression. He smiled but it didn't meet his dark eyes. "You're not normally so chatty." Thorn's face was a mask. Chloe glared at him. Sure he could just turn into a statue and leave everything to her.

"Are we nearly there yet?" She whined. Ryder's gaze softened.

"Patience maniac." Chloe turned away from him, scanning the view. Thorn silently retreated to stand by the driver. Ryder heard her breath catch as he came up behind her, his hands resting on the rail either side of her – caging her in. "You locked your door last night." He purred into her ear. Chloe concentrated on breathing. "I was worried, worried you might need me."

"I didn't dream." She didn't sleep. Ryder pulled back, moving to stand by her side with a couple of feet between them.

"Well done." He praised softly. Chloe's head whipped around to face him.

"You're testing me? To see if I freak out again."

"I want you to get used to me touching you."

"Why?" She demanded sharply. Ryder chuckled darkly but his eyes were flat and humourless.

"Why do you think?"

Chloe twisted her hair around her finger, allowing the rest to spill between them offering her a small kind of shield.

"What if I just want to be your friend?" She questioned in small voice. Ryder sucked in a breath as if he'd received a mortal blow. Chloe cringed, not daring to meet his gaze.

"You'll learn to love me."

He fled from her side, retreating to the taxi's interior. Chloe shivered. Ryder wanted her to love him – instead her heart was wavering in another direction. She looked over her shoulder and her eyes sought Thorn. From the leather seating Ryder followed her gaze and his expression darkened to something murderous.