Chapter Twenty-four

The tailor was set to be there by 10:00 and Stacy decided she had just enough time to call Samson with the pregnancy news.

She smiled that Stacy had come to terms with her decision and gently closed the door on her way out. She needed to give Stacy some privacy for a bit and so she went to check in with Josef about the arrangements for the rest of the day.

"Good morning my dear man," she said. "Have any trouble acquiring my package for today?"

His face was solemn, but then he produced a pastry box. "Trdelník, all the way from Slovakia."

"You are the man," she said.

"And a little something extra as well. I took the liberty of getting you some Tatratea, the Slovak national drink. Not sure if you have ever..."

She cut him off and grabbed it out of the box. "Eek! That stuff is awesome. And stout! I appreciate you so much Josef."

"What time will you require the boat?" he asked.

"Well let's just play it by ear and see how Stacy feels. And the tailor should be here at 10:00, so please tell the Rottweilers to let him in."

"Can do," he said with a smile.

"Oh- and did Stacy really ask you to pick out the best looking Romanians to send with us?" she asked.

Josef blushed. "She was quite detailed in her request, Mrs. Lady and that is all I can say in the presence of a lady."

Josef was red faced and it tickled her. They both had a good laugh and she shook her head. "So did you get her what she asked for?"

"Well," he said, "I took it to the guys and we had a kind of drawing straws thing for the assignment. But the short straws were fought after, I can assure you. Literally fought after."

She grinned as she carried her box of pastries and her Slovak tea liquor back up to her room. "Oh my gosh, anyone that has not had a Trdelník has not lived," she said out loud. She and The Husband ate one (and sometimes more than one) every single day that they were in Prague. She couldn't wait to tear into them.

She felt charitable and decided to walk back to Stacy's room to share. The same smiley Romanian was on guard and she offered him a Trdelník. He turned her down.

"Of course you wouldn't eat any carbs, my bad." she giggled as she entered the room and closed the door. Then she opened it and peeped through to ask him if he was going with them on the boat. He nodded as one corner of his mouth turned up.

"Well there's one of the lucky ones," she thought. She closed the door and turned around to find Stacy sitting in one of the chairs stoically looking out her balcony.

"How did it go?" she asked while offering up some heaven in pastry form.

Stacy turned to her and wasn't crying or happy, just kind of pensive.

"He is so thrilled. He cried. He prayed. He said he wants to come and see me tonight. He said 'he can't imagine the good fortune that has smiled upon us'. On one hand I am so thrilled that he is this happy. Thrilled to be able to give him this gift, this kind of joy. But on the other hand it's really just an illusion, isn't it? How can I do this to him?"

Stacy looked at her and into her soul it seemed.

"Listen, you are blonde and fair, the father is dark complected and curly haired. This baby will look like a perfect combination of you and Samson. This baby will be loved. This baby will be supported in all endeavors, raised in the church and with every advantage. And this baby will be the only heir to its grandparents' fortune. If you worry at all for the baby's sake, don't. If you worry for Samson's sake, how long have you guys been trying?"