Chapter Three

The week passed quickly and without much thought of Him. Well, she guessed that all depended on your definition of much. Not much thought of him which was out of the ordinary for her, she reluctantly added.

But nevertheless she did wonder what he was doing, how he was... The contact in the months leading up to Boston had been super frequent and always at his initiation. There were future plans penciled in, at least two future dates in two separate cities, and nearly daily messaging.

A half hour after her hasty retreat from the penthouse suite came a text that simply said "See ya, lover." The contact from him since then had been zero. She allowed herself to wonder why for a few moments while stirring her drink with her finger, but then dug into her carry on and pulled out her book.

"Let's just get on with it," she thought.

"After all, it's only been eight days," she said out loud. "And that's really nothing compared to twenty years." It didn't really matter that she was speaking out loud to herself right now as the sounds of the airport drowned out anything she cared to say anyway.

The American Airlines Admiral's Club lounge was quiet and slow today, and that was a blessing in and of itself. A couple years back she entered an American lounge at 6am on the dot in London Heathrow and it was so crowded she had to wait in line probably ten minutes to get her precious coca cola.

Everyone in front of her was ordering hot tea and it was made to order. She stood patiently and waited and waited on them to each have their different types of tea custom made. To make matters even worse there was a particularly abrasive Brit gentleman who railed on and on behind her complaining about everything... it was simply too early to have to listen to and deal with that.

Finally she reached the front of the line and placed her coke order, and the Brit behind her scoffed and commented, "Bloody Americans don't even know what to do with tea!"

She took a deep breath, turned around slowly, and made sure he met her gaze. She then commented authoritatively "Yes sir we sure do, we simply throw it in the Boston Harbor."

There was a mix of laughter and shrieks of horror as she strode confidently to her table with her coke. The abrasive Brit was red faced and completely defeated. Score one point for America, she thought to herself.

Thinking back on it now made her smile, but today with a calm lounge and her coke zero in her hand she thought she would pass the time rereading Diana Gabaldon instead of putting Brits in their place. Today was set to be a long day but with Jamie Fraser in her lap she could accomplish just about anything.

She flipped to her bookmark and immediately smiled at the thought of her large, red headed, fiery tempered "book husband" as she called him. Real Life Husband (aka The Husband) knew all about this relationship with Jamie Fraser and was good with it. The Husband was not much for insecurity, and truth be told most likely had a man crush on the imaginary Viking as well. Mr. Wrong Last Name would probably try to make her feel vapid and foolish about this affinity for a fictional Viking. No telling what would happen if he saw Mr. Fraser was the screen saver on her phone.

Many times it seemed that he intensely disliked the woman that the girl he knew had become. It was hard for her to reconcile. Truly it was hard for them both.

The Husband may not have understood everything about her but he knew who she was and loved her anyway. Maybe because he didn't know who she used to be, before. And though it was of no consequence and may even sound contrite, she had missed him terribly this week. He had been in Boston and then Montreal. Went moose hunting with some buddies from business school in Vermont, and was headed back home today. He may even get there before her plane took off, but she would soon be in the air on the way to Cancun. They would just miss each other.