Chapter Fourteen

He seemed genuinely shocked to see that she was playing ball. And after a few drinks the happy couples receded to their separate seating areas. She had decided to play a part and was going to do her best through the exhaustion and shock to pull it off.

They sat down and he didn't get out his laptop. She had his full and undivided attention, and he was smiling at her broadly.

"So husband dear," she said with a lot of emphasis, "who do they work for?"

"Me," came the reply. He seemed put off by her question, and with that he put his glasses back on and started typing away on his laptop.

Her eyebrows were raised. "Wow. So two people that work for you just so happen to end up on my flight next to me in line and headed to my resort- the one I didn't tell you about- and then end up inviting me onto your private plane after my booked flight had trouble. Did the bird that hit the windshield work for you too?" she asked.

He grinned until he saw her one eyebrow raised and arms crossed. He closed up his laptop and changed his expression.

"No, the bird did not work for me. But I really should send flowers or something to his family for the sacrifice he made in the name of my master plan."

"OK listen, I don't know what you have planned but this is the real deal," she said. She smiled at the flight attendant as she walked by and then pointed over her shoulder at her while furrowing her brow.

"Yes, her too. She's fine. Non-disclosure agreements abound," he commented happily.

She rolled her eyes and continued. "OK, so I am going to this resort that my husband paid for. Apparently they are too. Did you book them there? Are you coming there too? And if so, where are you staying? You aren't staying with me are you?"

"God no," he replied without hesitation. "At least not there. Do you think I want anything to do with something 'The Husband' paid for??" He looked at her sternly with his jaw set.

"Oh it's still about that," she said. "Even after all this time. Look- all I know is before we have it out I desperately need to tell you some things. Can you forget about The Husband long enough for me to do that? Please? Because before you materialized here I had plans in place to get a message to you, because there is a lot we need to discuss."

He bent over to put his laptop in his bag and then turned towards her, arms crossed, and body language definitely combative. "In case you are unaware, you are never very far from me. I knew where you were going, and yes I booked them to stay there as well. Are you happy now?"

She chose to let the comment and his aggressive stance go and for the time being tried to forget the fact that husband #1 threatened to hire someone to send with her on vacation and that husband #2 actually did.

She exhaled loudly and continued, ignoring his previous response. "Ok so let's just get to it. Interpol has become an issue. They threatened to go to both The Husband and the kid if I don't produce something palatable for them. Something about you," she said.

He looked out the window in deep thought. He took a long drink of his vodka tonic with lime and loosened his tie. He never looked back at her, but several moments later he responded with, "Did you give him anything?"

"Of course not," she said, insulted. He kept looking out the window and a vein in his neck was becoming more and more pronounced.

"So," he said, "you went to Federale instead. What is his angle?" He turned to look at her with a serious and accusatory expression.

"His angle is he is my friend, and will help me to the end. No angle. I didn't give him anything on you, I asked him to work Cuban Cigars. He's going to get me all the dirt he can on the Interpol asshole by the time we land, and most importantly he gave me some options. At this point, options are all a girl can ask for. The last six months or so have been a constant stream of options- mostly bad- and I have been forced to pick the LEAST bad one and roll with it. Kind of like today..." she trailed off.