Chapter Seventeen

She finally drifted off to sleep a little before dawn. Just a couple hours later he woke her up to present an awesome Italian breakfast- hot espresso, various caffè lattes, and an assortment of pastries, including cornetos, crostatas, and the most wonderful brioche.

She stretched and sleepily said excitedly, "Can't believe you ordered all these carbs."

"I didn't," he replied tight lipped. "Apparently 'The Husband' set your menu for the whole week."

She laughed. "Yeah, he knows me so well."

He scowled. Probably for a few reasons, and sat on the edge of her bed.

He grabbed her ankle through the covers and squeezed. "Listen, I don't know how much sleep you need to get today to be a human the rest of this trip but you have all day to get it done. The resort only has massages, the spa and a beach trip scheduled today, a film screening tonight. None of it is "have to" stuff and you can do any of it later if you choose to stay here the rest of your vacation," he looked at her hand and his eyes lingered there.

Coming back to himself he added, "You really should have gone to sleep last night and you'd be ok today. Maybe a little out of it but not a zombie. You've travelled enough to know better."

He really was getting onto her she thought and it both irritated and amused her.

"Yeah, yeah, this is why I like Tulum," she added. "I travel great as long as it is within the Eastern or Central time zones. Are you not going to eat anything?" He was getting up already and messing around with his things.

"Already did. Took a run through town and had a shake earlier." She looked at him and raised her eyebrows some. "Now before you go wondering I left a sentry posted at the door before I left," he added.

"Oh dear Lord it is a resort town. I go everywhere by myself all the time. All over the world!" she said. This trip was going to be the antithesis of relaxing.

"No actually you don't," he said. "Not alone anyway."

Ugh.

She decided the best thing to do was to change the subject.

"What do you have planned for today while I am in recovery mode?"

"Things. Nothing that really should concern you or ruin your vacation. When is your girlfriend arriving?"

"I don't know for sure- maybe in a week?" Now it was his turn to raise his eyebrows.

"So you came here and told 'The Husband' you had a date, but you didn't, and he assumed you'd be running around with her, but you're not," he paused for effect. "And you told me you were busy, but you're not?"

She was exasperated. "Well, first things first I don't owe you any kind of explanation, and any right you had to one you lost long ago. Secondly, the situation is complicated with Stacy..."

He cut her off. "With Stacy, or with The Husband?" he chided.

She paused before responding. She just didn't want to do this now or ever. "Look- if you have something productive to do, somewhere to be, something that isn't picking fights with me, you probably need to get there. I don't want to do this. As a matter of fact will you get my phone back from your feds just for today since I'm not leaving?"

She looked at him and silently begged. She really didn't want them to get into a fight and after her deal with Interpol she couldn't afford it.

He seemed to calm a little. "Does that mean we are headed to Croatia tomorrow?" he asked.