Whispered Surrender

Start from the beginning

Chloe's cheeks were slightly flushed but she tried to act normal and hide how flustered she felt.

"Do you not know how zippers work?" She asked cheekily. Thorn glanced at Ryder's exposed abs and then quickly focused on his coffee - heat radiating off his neck.

"Oh dear," Ryder replied in a mock forlorn tone, "and I was going to treat you today." Chloe straightened immediately.

"Treat me?" The keenness in her voice made him chuckle.

He made her wait as he poured himself a drink.

"Yes I was thinking perhaps a shopping trip but since you're-"

"I'm sorry you look great never wear shirts again!" She gabbled quickly. Thorn snorted. "Please, please let's go shopping!" She looked like an adorable puppy staring pleadingly across at him with large doleful eyes. Ryder's jaw twitched. He couldn't say no to that face.

"Ok but behave kitten."

Chloe nodded eagerly - her happiness so clearly evident that Ryder struggled to retain his stern expression. She filled a plate with pastries and fruit for him and then watched him eat it. She didn't nag but her foot was shifting about impatiently. It was strange since Ryder couldn't remember Lauren having a particular interest in shopping or clothes but perhaps he'd just forgotten. Chloe meanwhile was picturing all the shoe's she so desperately needed in her life.

Chloe observed the pedestrians they walked passed. They all looked normal enough to her but this was a city for the supernatural. She tried to guess what some of them were. Just how many of the stories were true? Was she walking by fairies and ghouls? When they crossed over a tiny bridge Chloe peered at the green waters searching for mermaids.

"Why are you glaring at that pigeon?" Ryder asked, putting down his beer. It was the hottest time of the day and they'd stopped at a bar to sip cold drinks in the shade.

"Is it really a pigeon? Or is that what he wants us to think?" Chloe continued to stare unblinking at the ruffled bird in question. "It could be a shapeshifter in disguise." Ryder appraised their feathered stalker.

"In disguise as a pigeon with a manky foot." His tone was heavily sceptical. Chloe nodded seriously - craning her neck as the pigeon hop shuffled under a nearby table. The pigeon started pecking at crisp crumbs caught between the paving stones. Chloe sighed and picked up her drink, giving up on her pigeon theory.

"Is there such thing as a shape shifter?"

Ryder shrugged, "there's werewolves. Those born with the gift and those cursed. So it's possible."

"But you don't know for sure?"

"Supernaturals coming out in the open is a very new concept. There's still much to learn."

Chloe thought about this.

"It's good that it's all a bit more openly talked about now. I guess." She rested her chin glumly in her hands and played with the lemon slice in her drink. "Shame that it comes along with anger against humans." Ryder reached over and brushed a stray eyelash from her cheek.

"I'm a warlock." Chloe's eyes widened in surprise. Ryder smiled softly, his gaze dropping to the table. "You never actually asked."

Chloe was surprised by Ryder's lowered head and averted gaze. Her heart panged as she guessed the reason. Was he worried about her reaction?

"Project blue turned you into a warlock?"

"No. They knew - even though I had no idea. They unlocked my dormant powers and then modified them so I couldn't turn against them."