Chapter 15 --- Sauté

Magsimula sa umpisa

A woman, younger than I do, looked at me expectantly. Some might say that she was a little plain-looking, but certainly neat and well-put-together. It was Mich

Yes, she was beautiful. Gorgeous tan skin, big mellow eyes overshadowed by thick long eyelashes and finely arched eyebrows; a straight nose and pouty light pink lips; all placed strategically on an elegantly round face that didn't hide her high cheekbones. Not to mention her long, thick black hair that was in that dominatrix ponytail high on her head.

She wore business attire, a navy gabardine suit, with a simple white silk suit sweater underneath. Her clothing was well-tailored to fit her. A small gold lapel pin dotted the blazer. Other than the pin and her watch, she wore no other jewelry.

I was so caught up in my feelings of annoyance that I didn't totally miss the huge smile that split Michelle's face. But her words brought me back to reality and made me realize that I was wrong about the reason for Mich's presence. I shouldn't be annoyed. I'm supposed to be sorry for almost stealing her boyfriend. It's me who should be hated

"Mich. Hey!" I said, giving her an air-kiss as I leaned closer. The scene shifted when Michelle asked me to join her for lunch and I couldn't pull an excuse to decline

We were in Taste of L.A, a restaurant in Tomas Morato. The restaurant was filled with people, tourists and locals alike, all searching for a small piece of blessed shade in which to escape the brutal noonday sun.

It is known for home-like façade. Save for large veranda windows spewing sunlight into the second floor dining room, it stays pretty dark inside even during the day, especially with its red walls and dark wooden floors.

Apparently, We had arrived for a reservation by Mich for her routinely lunch date with Travis. She said that Travis had to cancel because of a meeting with an investor. I didn't mind because the atmosphere was relaxing, and I could hear strains of smooth jazz from the combo playing in the bar.

We were seated at our table as the Maitre'd handed us our menus. The wine steward came over and suggested a bottle of wine they were featuring that day which worked for us. After looking over the menus briefly, we decided to split an order of calimari as we sipped our wine. A bit later we ordered. She chose the veal piccata and I chose the red snapper special.

We wouldn't have wasted the atmosphere with idle chit-chat. If there was nothing to say, there was no point in saying it. I sip on chardonnay while Michelle savored her scotch. As the band finished a number we would glance at one another, share a comment about the music.

The band would resume and we would fall silent again. It was a good feeling to just share the music and relax in the presence of the other.

After our food arrived and we had consumed a bit more wine, the conversation flowed a bit easier. I think we had both been slightly nervous at first, though there was no need to be.

But it was bound to be different the moment Michelle uttered "There's something I wanted to ask you"

My eyes widened at what she showed me. "Where did you get this?" I managed to pass the words through my dry throat, my fingers where I held the glass of red wine was trembling, trying to understand what was going on.

It was my diamond drop earrings set in platinum — about two carats total. Again, Michelle shrugged. She must have sensed my momentary emotional flux had passed.
"I found it on Travis' Maserati,"

Michelle reminded me of the events and how I left it on Travis' car. It was the day before Michelle came back to the picture. I wandered around to Travis' condo, not knowing he shared it with Mich. I was in my undewear and stopped in the kitchen, looking around.