twenty two.

One thing Jungkook could never understand in the dramas he watched was how quickly characters seemed to fall in love ― in some cases, it seemed like one episode they were mortal enemies and the next they were secretly fawning over each other. He doubted the legitimacy of their emotions, not believing they could really change their emotions that quickly. Surely there wasn't that small a line between love and hate ― between the infatuation they showed and any emotions, for that matter.

That was, until he found himself lying wide awake in Yoongi's arms one morning with only one thought circulation around his mind. He really liked lying here. And it wasn't just the bed; he could probably be lying anywhere right now and he wouldn't mind, all because of the older male. After what seemed like hours of musing, he realised that this extended to more than just lying there: he really liked Yoongi in general. And not just in the platonic way (he didn't think so, at least), but in the way that was making his heart thump faster than normal. This train of thought scared him a lot. But what scared him even more was the suddenness of it all.

Once this realisation passed, Jungkook then found himself wondering how he was going to bring this up with Yoongi. It seemed like the sort of thing he should share with him, plus he was on a no shutting the older male out rule. This second train of thought continued to trouble him until the blonde was woken up by his alarm clock. The younger watched as Yoongi pushed himself out of bed and shuffled to the bathroom, where he promptly relieved his bladder and then had a shower. Jungkook was still troubled by his dilemma when Yoongi hopped out and got changed into his work clothes, and then was still troubled when Yoongi was completely ready and just about to leave. It was then that the younger felt that, like when a series finished on a cliff-hanger, he wouldn't be able to handle the suspense and had to do something about it ― now.

"I have to go now, Kookie." The older said as he watched the winged boy clamber from the bed and walk over to him. Jungkook just hugged the blonde, burying himself in his shirt. "Do you want me to bring you home anything in particular? Anything you want for dinner?" Jungkook shook his head. "Alright. I'll just pick something up on the way home... Kookie, are you alright? Normally you're not even up yet."

"I love you." His words were muffled by the fabric of Yoongi's shirt, but the older male was able to understand what he said. Jungkook remained with his face hidden in his chest, awaiting Yoongi's response.

There was a beat of silence, a hesitation. Then Yoongi smiled and pat Jungkook's head.

"I love you too, kid." He responded, but Jungkook didn't feel at all satisfied. He was pretty sure Yoongi had probably misinterpreted his words. And he had; Yoongi just thought the younger meant it in the platonic way. "But I've really got to go now. I'll be home this afternoon."

"Have a good day at work then. Oh, actually, can you get some more biscuits when you come home... I'm running out of snacks." Yoongi nodded and said goodbye once more. Jungkook watched as he left, letting out a heavy sighed as he continued to mull over his dilemma.

He really never expected this sort of development.

Despite the majority of his attention being focused on finding a way to reverse Jungkook's DNA, Yoongi couldn't help but find his mind drift back to the words the boy had said to him that morning. He hadn't expected him to say he loved him, but he felt it meant he was still making progress. Maybe if the brunette liked him that much, it meant he trusted him more. It made him feel happier.

And yet, he couldn't ignore the way his chest had constricted when the boy first said those words, or the way he swore his heart literally missed a beat every time they replayed in his head. Surely it was because of the foreignness of this experience; a feeling of doubt surfaced when he tried to reason it with this. This just created more confusion, a distraction from the more important task at hand. He tried returning his focus to the reversal, but then the muffled sounds of Jungkook saying "I love you" would float back up into his memory and he'd do a full circle.

"Jeez, this kid..." Yoongi muttered, leaning back in his chair. He run his hands down his face, remaining in that position for a few seconds. He was so engrossed in his thoughts, he didn't notice Hoseok enter the room. In fact, he didn't even realise his friend was there until he cleared his throat loudly. Yoongi removed his hands, looking up at Hoseok. "Yeah?"

"Namjoon dropped this off ― he says it's all the information he has on Jungkook, and a bit of the extra stuff he gathered from other research." Hoseok explained, placing the thick folder down on Yoongi's desk. He then paused, taking in his friend's appearance. "You struggling?"

"Yeah. More so than usual." Yoongi sighed. "I just... keep getting distracted by something Kookie said to me this morning."

"What'd he say?"

"Just I love you. But I dunno, I keep thinking about it." He sighed again; he was doing a lot of that. "It's the first time he's ever said it."

"Maybe that's why?" The older male shook his head.

"No, I don't think it's that. I think it's like this," Yoongi gestured at his computer screen, "I'm this close to finding the answer. And it'll probably be something really simple when I do find it."

"Maybe it's love." Hoseok murmured, not really meaning it. Another shake of the head from Yoongi.

"Nah, it can't be that." Yoongi chuckled. "He wouldn't love someone like me; I bet his main character's way cool. Like Namjoon, but nicer. Or something."