21.

To say Louis' heart was beating a mile a minute was an understatement. He couldn't breath, briefly he inhale the damp air filled with the smell of rotting flesh. No task was easy to do in these conditions, especially attempting to outrun beast on steroids. Niall was trailing behind purposely since he held mass destruction weapons while Louis grasped his small hand knife. Keeping Lou safe was Niall's job, but he couldn't lie that the thought of leaving the laggard behind did occur.

The blonde, knowledgeable about even the darkest parts of hell, maneuvered through the alleys, practically dragging Louis along with him. Soccer allowed for Louis to stay in shape, but he had stopped playing once arriving in the underworld. He slept and ate most of the time, sounds luxurious until an unexpected physical activity surfaced. However, nothing was more motivating to run a mile than flesh eating reapers.

Niall's earpiece beeped, signaling Zayn was connecting. "Niall, Louis?  The war has escalated above ground and it will be difficult to direct you from now on. I have been called to the battle field, but I will leave you with the last set of directions, " spoke Zayn in a calm voice compared to the hectic noises clouding his speech. " Make four lefts, each time skipping an alleyway. Basically, every other alley you will make a left. After 4, continue straight until you see the closed gates. Turn left and continue straight, this will lead you to a ...." Sounds of warfare broke the signal and a loud screech appeared before the earpiece went silent .

"Shit," was mumbled and Niall rolled his eye. Without knowing what he should be looking for when arriving was going to be a challenge. Though Niall knows every pathway, the Irish lad does not remember all the pass codes or where the keypads are hidden. Each door/secret compartment had a different password. Since Niall was always with Zayn checking the escape routes, they split the responsibility when traveling the caves. Niall remembers the paths and Zayn knows all the codes of entry.

Meanwhile, the only thing Louis could think about was the numbness in his legs as the reapers began to become closer and closer to the duo. Niall began shouting "pick it up!"

Louis screamed, "Pick me up? How the fuck can I pick you up when I can barely move my legs?" The blonde shook his head at the miscommunication and continued striding in the correct direction.

Rounding one last left turn, Niall stared at the dead end in front of him. Not far behind, Louis was panting with his hands on his knees. Bent over, he looked nauseous, he also felt like vomiting. "This was Zayn's big bad plan, to trap us into a dead end. Maybe this is payback for what I said to him back in Harry's room! Should've listened to my mother, You can never trust a demon!"

Niall glared at the teen who was pacing back and forth, his boyfriend would never put Niall in danger. Also, Harry would've torn his head of for killing Louis. Louis was nice sometimes, and other times he utters some inconsiderate bull. Racking his memory from the times he explored with Zayn, Niall attempted to remember where the keypad was hidden.

Niall thought to himself, 'When we arrived at this bare stone wall, where did Zayn find the pad?' A lightbulb went off in his head as he ran towards the center of the wall feeling for cold air. One of the stones felt similar to ice under Niall's fingertips and he removed it. There revealed a screen, flashing back at him were the words password or Touch ID. Niall quickly tapped Touch ID and scanned his fingerprint, the green light flicking on and Niall jumped back. A large door opened from the stone and Niall grabbed Louis' hand as the young lad stared in amazement. They were finally away from the reapers, however inside the tunnel it was only 30 degrees.

"This ice tunnel will lead us back to the basement of the castle and from there we can escape with the help of Sebastian or the royal guard. There will be a place to hide on the top floor, but we have to hurry before the castle becomes over run and Sebastian will be too busy to assist us. Also, it is f-cking freezing in here and I've burned a lot of calories with no food to replace them." Niall trailed off topic as Louis giggled for the first time that day. As the duo ran through the cold tunnel, sounds of gunfire and screaming were heard.

Not only did Louis shiver at each shriek, he was debating wether or not being eaten by the reapers was worst than the scene waiting for him above ground. Neither of the two had a passion to peak their heads into the battle, but that was the only way to a avoid freezing to death. With a disconnected earpiece, Niall had no way of contacting Harry or Zayn who had eyes on the other side. They would have to surface blind, combating any angels hovering over them or snooping around. Niall knew he was the only one going to fight and if there were more than three angels waiting for their arrival the duo was screwed.

Meanwhile, Harry had knowledge of the loss of contact with Niall and Louis. However, the king of hell had little time to ponder a solution. He was being attacked from every angle and he had already murdered four people, something he hates doing. Most of his guards would do the dirty work, but if one angel found a loop hole in defense, Harry was forced to defend himself. 

A group consisting of Harry and his trusted men glided through the castle until reaching the front door. Stepping on countless dismembered body parts; the sound of  cracking bones echoed off the walls, triggering a cringe from the devil. As they approached the door, Zayn came rushing towards them. With a frantic pace, he explained how the angels have taken the children hostage. Harry's teeth grounded together as he continued to the door. It is one thing to threaten soldiers who train for battle, but another to murder innocent lives.

Zayn continued to update the Devil on the location and stats of the kingdom, lastly mentioning Louis and Niall's whereabouts. "If everything has gone according to plan, Niall and Louis are on their way back. They are forced to return by way of the ice tunnel which leads to the basement. I have put guards on the post and they are going to take the boys someplace safe." Harry nodded in approval while rushing to towards the screams of children heard from blocks away.
~~~~~~~~
Niall reached the end of the tunnel as Louis followed. Staring at the iced over door, Niall began to melt it with fire. Louis looked on in amusement. The fire seemed to come from the gloves Niall had snugging his fingers. " You couldn't have lit a fire to keep us warm?" Louis cocked his head at the blonde as Niall finished melting the seal.

"Nah, that's a waste of resources. There's only so much lighter fluid for the fire." Niall answered while typing in the code. The door slowly creaked open breaking off any shards of glass left on the structure. Niall peered out into the basement and was met with only darkness. Tugging on Louis' shirt, he signaled for the two to walk out, the cold wind blowing past the as the door closed. Niall clapped three times signaling for the lights to flicker on. However, the light exposed the true horrors present in the basement.

Dead soldiers sprawled across the floor with spears and needles throughout their whole body. Some were even hanging from wooden post with their limbs cut off. Blood on the pants leg showed they were still alive when being tortured. What really shocked Niall was the uniform each officer was wearing, they were not just soldiers, but the royal guard. The guards that would be sent to accompany them to safety.

The blondes thoughts were interrupted by a loud voice. Louis had backed into Niall after gazing upon a severed head hanging from a lantern. Footsteps followed the loud sound, they were heavy and the people spoke in whispers as they descended into the basement. Instead of being greeted by Harry or Zayn, Louis' eyes stared at a familiar face. The face of God.

Louis could not move, not even when Niall attempted to drag him in the opposite direction of Payne. Louis was in shock, he just stared as his whole body shut down, it was like he was hypnotized. Soon Louis could not gaze any longer because a bag was slipped over his head. All he could focus on was the grunting and cursing of Niall attempting to free himself, eventually both bodies went limp from the poison coating each brown woven bag.

" Tommo, if I may call you that. You have been very bad, and we are now returning home. I'll never let you go again." Spoke Mr. Payne close to Louis' ear, hot breath being the last thing he felt before blacking out.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Hello guys long time no see, if you are still reading this I thank you! Sorry I have not updated in so long, I finally got out of my lazy slump and wrote this chapter! I love every single one of you! 😊