"No, I figured we'd surprise him." I grumbled, flipping through this mornings news. As if to add insult to injury, a picture of Grant Fallon flashed across my screen. Apparently, he was responsible for a drug bust at the border. The guy sure as hell was ambitious, I had to give him that. 

"That sounds like a fucking terrible idea." Carlo raised his eyebrows in a questioning manor.

"Did I ask for your lousy opinion?" I gritted my teeth, keeping my eyes focused on the paper. Carlo was lucky he was one of my best men. He and Angelo had been by my side since the beginning, since we were barely out of diapers. That's the only reason I let them get away with ever questioning my authority. Any other man, and he'd be riding in the cargo space with our luggage instead of up here with me.

"I'm just saying..." He held his hands up in surrender. "It's been years since we've been back. It's too bad we can't stay longer."

"I know." The sky was now sprawled out beneath us and in a few short hours, we'd touch down in Salerno. Carlo was right, it had been far too long since we had been back here. Years ago, we would make trips out here a few times a year. We all still has family here, me included. After my father died, Antonio vowed to take care of my mother and moved her into his estate with him. We spoke occasionally, but it had been at least four years since I had seen her. A flash of guilt banged in my chest, knowing I should visit her more. It just seemed like every time I planned to, life got in the way. Things got busy in New York and I hardly had time to have a life there, let alone fly out here like I used to. Carlo's sister lived here, too, and was married to one of Antonio's son's, Gabe. I knew he'd be glad to see her, too.

I pulled out my laptop and began scrolling through emails. It seemed like this shit was never ending. Somewhere in my monotonous scrolling, I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I remembered, Carlo was shaking my shoulder.

"We're here." He said excitedly, looking out the window at the beautiful Italian country. Someday I'd bring Charlotte here, she would love it. It was exactly the kind of inspiration that would create beautiful paintings.

I followed Carlo out of the plane, and a wave of heat immediately hit me.

"Jesus Christ, we're not in New York anymore." I groaned, unbuttoning my jacket.

"Tell me about it." Carlo scoffed. "Where's a Starbucks when you need one?"

"Watch your mouth, culo." A familiar voice sounded from behind me. "You're in the homeland of the cappuccino. Starbucks is a dirty word around here."

We turned to see Gabe standing a few feet away from us, hands on his hips and grinning mischievously.

"Good to see you man!" I said shaking his hand and pulling him into a hug. "What are you doing here?"

"Dad heard you guys were coming into town and sent me to get you." He slapped my back. "Your sister is pissed you didn't tell her you were coming by the way." He gestured to Carlo, hugging him as well.

"Dios mio." Carlo threw his head back and rolled his eyes. "I haven't even been in the country ten minutes and she's already angry."

"Welcome to my world." Gabe joked. "You guys can come with me. Jag will bring your bags back to the house." He gestured to the man standing a few feet away from us. I didn't recognize him but he had to be a new soldier.

I nodded towards him and he smiled politely.

We walked towards Gabe's Ferrari sitting on the other side of the runway. "It's been a long time." He said as we climbed in. "What brings you two morons home? Where's Angelo?"