Fusion

A week later, Steven was very glad he had invited Amethyst onto the team.

The Crystal Gems were back.

It was Thursday when they received the transmission.

"This is Pearl. How is phase three?" The proud woman was back, her spear again glinting in the light of the TV, now in all colors of the spectrum.

Another transmission came after hours of stress-filled silence, this time with a tall woman with an imposing stare calling herself Garnet.

"Fusion." Jasper hissed, looking at the woman's hands.

The transmission ended.

"Hey, what's a fusion?" Steven pushed between Lapis and Peridot, their discomfort noticeable.

"It's when two gems combine physical form and become a..... giant woman." Jasper looked to the other Gems for help.

"Look at this simulation Steven." Peridot played a sequence of images.

The two bodies twirled in different styles of dance, one with quick, sharp movements, and the other with slow deliberate movements.

And somehow they were in perfect sync.

They got closer and closer, until they at last touched and became a large mass of light.

"That's when the fusion comes out."

Amethyst stared over Steven's shoulder in awe. "Can I learn how to do that?"

"Sure. Just.... don't stay in a fusion too long. You can get carried away." Lapis looked down, placing her elbow in her hand awkwardly.

"Teach us!"

Fusion was hard.

Steven just couldn't get the steps down, and he was just so awkward about it. Like, he couldn't dance in sync with the Gems.

Jasper was so gruff with her movements, and super commanding, while Lapis was graceful, gliding in ballroom style across the floor, the deep blue skirt she wore skimming her ankles. Amethyst was erratic and intense, her movements unlike the others.

Peridot tried for a little bit, but her movements were timid, and she stopped quickly because of her embarrassment at how bad she was.

They only stopped when another transmission from Garnet came through the TV.

"Pearl, get Bismuth. She needs to see this. I think there are other Gems on Earth. Get back to me through the communications tower and use the main warp."

"Let's go. I know where the communications tower is." Lapis clenched her fists, striding over to the warp pad, everyone else except for Amethyst following in her path.

"I'll stay back." Amethyst said. "I've got stuff too. Bye Ste-man." She ruffled his hair.

They reached the communications tower, and sure enough, blue light was emitting from the opalescent crystal pillars.

"Okay. It's time to take this down. We need a carefully formulated plan. Fortunately, I have already formed a part of one, all we need is...." Peridot said, tapping away at her screen, letting it float over the ground, controlling it with her 'magical metal powers', as Steven called it.

"Malachite." Lapis said, her hair darkening her brow. "Jasper. Fuse with me."

Jasper looked shocked. This morphed into glee, and she grinned. She pumped a meaty arm in the air, and cuffed Peridot's arm. "YES! Let's go Lapis."

"Wait! You guys get... carried away. My plan would be safer."

"Let's get this over with." Lapis extended her arm to Jasper, their dancing styles reaching a climax as Lapis twirled into Jasper's arms, and they became a mass of light, their Gems suspended in air as arms protruded from the mass.

Her hair was stark white, wild and untamed, a beautiful mess. The rest of her body was covered in a striped pattern of deep turquoise and aqua. She laughed. "Out of my way shrimps. I've got a tower to take down."

Her many hands grabbed at the stone of the tower, crumbling it into pieces rapidly the light fading into nothing, the area now only illuminated by the dim sky.

Rubble fell everywhere, Peridot and Steven dodging this way and that, until a rock hit Steven.

"STEVEN!" Malachite screamed, her form splitting, Lapis landing and running to Steven. Jasper rushed over also, and while Lapis checked his face for marks, Jasper scooped him up, carried him to the warp pad, and warped home.

Lapis and Peridot showed up later, and while Steven went to sleep, began to discuss what to do about the Crystal Gems.