Chapter XII

The Aftermath: Part I

---

Someone asked me, "If you had known the pain you will go through, would you still have done the same?"

I replied, "He could have pierced me in the heart, and I would still love him as much, for my heart was his to begin with, and his to be pained for."

---

Byakuran

From the start, Byakuran knew he was never going to get Tsuna's heart. Somehow, even in all the parallel universes, where Tsuna was the Vongola Decimo, it was never him. Maybe it was Reborn, maybe it was Hibari, sometimes Mukuro even, but Byakuran and Tsuna never got a happy ending.

Every world, every time, Byakuran would fall hard, but Tsuna would always be out of reach.

Byakuran once heard a saying, that there were certain times when you first laid your eyes on someone which weren't considered to be first at love sight - it was just that you knew falling in love with him was inevitable.

That was how Byakuran felt when he met Tsuna.

After he could see through the different parallel worlds, watching his other selves was like watching himself being obsessed with one brunet over and over again, repeatedly, never ending.

It was an interest which turned into the downward spiral of obsession, mixed with traces of hatred.

Byakuran hated Tsuna, for he made him feel emotions he had never felt before. Byakuran stood tall above other humans, he was different from the ordinary, so why could Tsuna make him feel jealousy, happiness and sadness all at once?

Those who stood at the top of the food chain shouldn't have emotions that would affect their decisions.

Sawada Tsunayoshi was a weakness, a weakness which could be fatal for Byakurans in all the worlds.

There were moments where Byakuran was just tempted to clamp Tsuna's thin, pale neck so he could focus on his plan to obtain the whole Tri-ni-set. Yet he couldn't.

Everything about Tsuna made Byakuran attracted to him, and as time went by, Byakuran could only be more interested in him.

It was like an inevitable fate; or rather, Byakuran would describe it as a curse.

Maybe Byakuran just liked being with Tsuna: Tsuna's presence was comforting, and Tsuna treated Byakuran like how he would treat anyone else, albeit being pissed most of the time. To Tsuna, Byakuran was an equal, and Tsuna was always blunt and true in his words.

Maybe it was the connection between the skies of the Tri-ni-set, for Tsuna said that sometimes he could feel what Byakuran was thinking and see what Byakuran could see in his dreams. Having the ability to view other worlds was not exactly a smooth sailing process, especially not when Byakuran often had abrupt flashes of memories which did not belong to the present him, and it was more tiring than he had expected.

Tsuna... Tsuna... It was always Tsunayoshi...

---

I forgive you.

Those whispered words surrounded Byakuran as the heat of Ietsuna's flames buried him.

Tsunayoshi, that saint. Why? Why did it hurt more when you forgive me?

---

Was what he wanted so difficult to achieve? Byakuran wondered.

Did no one realize how messed up the world was?