♪ Please Don't Get Me Wrong ♪ {39}

Start from the beginning

Blinking, I willed myself to focus on the scene in front of me instead of the horrible thoughts churning through my sleep deprived brain. On the stage was Las Mayonnaise, having finished their set and clearing off the stage. Paired against them in the randomized round was Within These Cages; I saw Carter's band just behind the stage wings, their instruments prepped and ready to go.

I glanced away, unable to even look anywhere near Carter's direction. The loud shouts around me signalled that WTC had taken stage, as the excited cries of the crowd grew louder.

"We're Within These Cages," Carter spoke into the microphone. Her voice resonated through the speakers set up around the venue. I ended up casting her a look anyway, only to find her stare already on me. I swallowed uneasily. "And we're going to start you off with a song called Decoy by Paramore."

Feeling my blood boil underneath my skin, I fought the urge to jump from my seat and storm out of the arena. My hands dug into my seat's armrest, and I bit my bottom lip while glaring daggers in her direction. Carter gave a sly smirk in my direction before beginning the song with the opening guitar riff to the Paramore song, the distortion whirling through the air.

"Close your eyes and make believe, this is where you wanna be. Forgetting all the memories, try to forget love 'cause love's forgotten me." Carter sang, grinning wickedly.

"Well, hey, hey, baby, it's never too late. Pretty soon you won't remember a thing. And I'll be as distant as stars, reminiscing, your heart's been wasted on me. You've never been so used as I'm using you, abusing you. My little decoy, don't look so blue, you should have seen right through. I'm using you, My little decoy." I felt myself trembling as the lyrics seemed to sum up my existance, and everything I was going through. Carter knew that.

"Living life inside a dream, time is changing everything. Forgetting all the memories and I'm forced into you just cause you're into me. Well, hey, hey, baby, it's never too late. When I'm gone you won't remember a thing. But I can't stay and no, I won't wait, I was gone from the very first day.

You've never been so used as I'm using you, abusing you. My little decoy, don't look so blue, you should have seen right through. I'm using you, My little decoy."

"I'm not sorry at all," Carter sang, as her band sang back up vocals as they echoed her. "No, I won't be sorry at all."

All sound stopped as just Carter's voice echoed through the arena, her eyes locked on my own. "I'd do it over again."

"Don't look so blue, my little decoy. You should have seen right through, my little decoy. You've never been so used, my little decoy. As I'm using you, my little decoy." Belting out the last note, the band crashed to a stop and the roar of applause signalled how mucht eh crowd adore their performance. In my seat, I was quaking.

"And that concludes today's secret round! During commercial break, you have the opportunity to text or vote online, the band that will continue on the final two and possibly take home the prize! I'll count you off: three, two, one!" And with that remark from Todd, a flurry of motion had the crowd whipping out their electronic devices. I watched as thumbs tapped furiously on the screens, my eyebrows drawn together in a creased line. One girl had her tongue sticking out as she brought tapped in the numbers given to each band as if she had memorized them all by heart. It was terrifying.

The lights flashed overhead, stopping at the center of the stage where Todd was fixing his tie. A cameraman flashed two fingers, and then the show was back on air. This all took place in the span of six minutes.

Todd hopped enthusiastically in his spot on the stage, his brilliant grin flashing in the warm sunlight. In his hands was a pristine white card the same shade as his teeth, covered by a golden emblem with the NBB logo. I crossed my fingers underneath my seat, silently praying that this Las Mayonnaise band was good enough to beat Carter and wipe that smug grin off her face, but luck was not on my side. Not anymore.