Prologue

Six years earlier...

I could hear my parents fighting all the way up in my room; even glass shattering and my mom yelling, "If you can't come home sober, then get out!"

I could feel my eyes watering as I went into Lily's, room. "When will it stop?" I whimper.

"I don't know," she replies, "I really wish I did, but in the mean time it's best we stay out of it," she replies.

"Its happened too many times! We need to do something. Please Lily?" I ask with a sense of hope.

"I don't know what we can do, Rose. " she says with a huff of frustration.

"We need to do something," I repeat again, this time more firmly.

She doesn't say anything.

"Fine! I'll do this myself," I say heading towards the doorway.

"Rose, no!" she shouts but I ignore her and head down stairs.

I sit on the bottom stair, and try to work up the courage to confront my parents. I'm not even sure I should do this, but I do.

"Stop it!" I shout at them. "Stop fighting!"

"You don't tell your father what to do!" he slurs and pushes me.

"Mom why's he doing this?" I ask

"Michael Stop! That's our daughter you're going to hurt her!" my mother yells angrily.

"Yeah. Have you ever thought about us when you fight? We hate hearing them every night!" I say, scared my father is going to hurt me. Then he doesn't. He lets me go. But before I can race toward the stairs to go back upstairs, he yells at me and says, " I never want to hear you speak again!"