chapter fifteen

I roll my eyes at the thought of having to see Max today. After what he did yesterday, seeing him is at the bottom of my list of things I want to do. At least it isn't like at school when I have to see him practically all day.

My date with Max is in a few hours, I think, Lily's going to want me to go. She says that it's good to hang out with people, though I completely disagree with her.

"Hey, Rose?" Lily calls from the kitchen where she's putting the dishes from our breakfast into the dishwasher. I pause my movie, and get up from my beanbag.

Yeah? I send as I enter the kitchen.

"Do you remember, when we were younger we'd go skating together?" she questions as she puts the last plate into the dishwasher.

I see what she's trying to do here, she's trying to guilt me into going out tonight.

Stop! I don't want to go. Just stop trying to make me want to go skating. If you want to go skating, we can go, but not tonight. I DON'T want to see him.

"I've been in your situation before. I know what it must be like for you to finally have someone who has grown close to you, but you don't fully know if you should trust them. Max seems like a nice guy, you should trust him. And if for whatever reason things don't work out I'll always be here for you. You can't just give up on them. Sometimes all you need to do is allow them to speak to you, I'm sure he's really sorry about what happened," she assures me.

Why would she say that? The only guy she's ever dated was...Brad. Suddenly things start to make a little bit of sense.

How can you say that when you didn't even stop to listen to Brad?

She gasps. "How do you know about that?" she asks.

I've made a mistake and now she knows I heard her conversation with him the other day. I should have kept my mouth shut.

I heard your conversation with him yesterday.

"How dare you! That's my life, not yours!" she yells.

When I heard who was at the door; I knew he hurt you. You're always here for me, so I just thought that I should be there for you.