chapter one ~EDITED~

It's a Monday morning and my alarm goes off at 5:30 a.m. like it usually does. I don't have one of those fancy alarm clocks that you can play a CD in so it just keeps blaring that annoying beep! beep! over and over until I get up to turn it off.

Ready for another boring day? I think to myself picking out a shirt and jeans to wear. Life is pretty boring when you don't have friends. But for me it's different because I chose for it to be boring. I don't want friends to pity me or "help" me, so I just leave them out of my life. I don't even talk to people anymore; I haven't, not in a long time that is.

After I get dressed I walked downstairs to gather my things for school. "Hey Rose," my sister, Lily greets me hoping I would respond. I don't know why she does this every morning and knows I won't respond, or even give her a small wave. I don't communicate with anyone anyway.

I finish putting all my things in my bag for school and grab a book on my way out the door. Lily grabs the car keys and closes the front door behind her. As usual, I get those people who stop and stare at me. Everyone thinks I'm stupid because I don't talk.
By the time I stop by my locker and pick out what I need for my first few classes there is still some time left until class starts, so I find myself a quiet space to go settle and read.

While I read, I'm suddenly interrupted by the sound of footsteps coming my way. I look up and notice a boy walking toward me.

"Hey," the boy says, "you're in my math class right?"

I stare at him wondering why on this earth he would talk to me. Then another boy comes over. I recognize him to be Mason, the main person that bully's me. "Hey, Max, why are you talking to her," he asks emphasizing the word 'her'. The boys walk away but I am able to hear a little more of their conversation.

"She's weird, if you hang out with her you're going to ruin your reputation," he says to Max.

Once I can't hear them anymore and make sure that Max isn't going to come back, I go back to reading. Or at least try. It's hard to go back to reading with the thought of someone other than Lily trying to talk to me.

It's getting close to time to go to my math class, so I decide to stop thinking about it and just go. I place my bookmark, pick up my things, and start towards class. On the way, I ignore the normal stares and crude comments. I walk in the door and notice that that boy, Max, follows only seconds after me.

Was he following me? I think to myself. I push the thought away and head to my normal seat in the back corner farthest to the door. I pull out my graphing calculator, notebook paper, algebra textbook, and a pencil before I realize who sits down next to me.

He sits there staring at me. What does this guy want from me I think to myself.

The bell rings and the teacher comes in. "Good morning, class" he says sitting at his computer taking attendance. The rest of math class is a blur because I couldn't get my mind off why Max talked to me and followed me.

I'm in the middle of my thoughts when the bell rings. All my things are still on my desk so I'm about to shove everything into my folders when I feel something I've never felt before on top of my hand. I look up to see what it is. It's Max's hand on top of mine.

"Here, I'll help. There is no need to make it look like a tornado went through your folder," he explains.

I silently groan at this. I really wish he would just leave me alone I think to myself.