21 | A Hidden Purpose

'Novalie Bishop.'

I dodged Connie's hand as he tried to grab me back in place, his voice once again sharply echoing inside my head with even more bite.

Feet moved on their own as I prowled towards the boys, snatching their empty drink container that was lying on the floor. The smell of burning plastic reached my nose, and I had to move fingers slightly away as it began to melt.

I stopped before they could realize, cracking my neck as I put pitching skills into use. My arm winded back, putting a ridiculous amount of strength into the cup's throw and being rewarded with a satisfying shout of pain.

Just like Riley throwing that bag of blood all those weeks ago—everything comes full circle.

She'd be proud.

When Morwen was hit, only our surrounding tables were notified. This time it sounded like the entire dining hall grew quite. I really didn't know why all these preppy kids seemed so shocked; I've done way worse things in cafeterias during the few years I actually attended public school.

The target looked murderous as I sent him a nonchalant look.

"I think that belongs to you." My hip leaned against a nearby table, whose occupants stared up at me in shock.

"Stupid bitch!" A red mark was appearing on his forehead as he abruptly stood up, chair falling loudly against the floor as it was knocked over. "You always have to be the center of attention, don't you?"

"Pretty much." I shrugged, not at all impressed by the bystanders around us, who lacked any sort of equity for what was going on around them.

"Tell the whore that she needs to stop leading people on." He sharply pushed my shoulders, ferociously looking down as I stared in defiance. "Thanks to her, Adam lost his mind!"

"He's always been fucked in the head!" I harshly bit back, giving the boy's bulkier frame a shove in return. "His actions solely rest on him alone."

'Spirits, help me—Novalie, just sit back down before you start a riot.'

I ignored Connie as the Light student grabbed my uniform's front, which then caused a random group of girls to shout from somewhere around us.

"Guys, stop!"

"This is insane!"

"I'm placing one hundred on Bishop if she wins."

"Maybe your friend shouldn't have gotten in the way." He got closer to my face. "She knew the consequences."

I was about to swing, but a much larger hand suddenly took hold of my wrist. A leveled voice was heard over the sudden silence, utensils and plates stilling in anticipation.

"What's going on over here?"

I looked towards the new speaker and grimaced as he spoke once more.

"I saw everything, it would be in your best interest to let go."

"Control your section better, Mishal." The grip on my shirt lessened as the hot-headed dolt finally released his hold, backing up and giving Ender a wary look underneath all the anger.

The phoenix didn't look at all bothered by the other's words; instead he turned around. "What does my uncontrolled Dark student have to say?"

"I wish the cup got him in the eye instead," I stated.

Ender turned back to the other with a no-nonsense expression, face made of stone. "Mayfair is currently unavailable to deal with his own section at the moment. Therefore, I'll be sending you to the Neutral Representative—she will give directions until further notice."