Henry reaches the other end as his fingers graze over the piano keys before his eyes tranfix on us.

Allison holds up a hand and takes out one of his own, gesturing her to ask whatever she wants, while still shaking his head slightly. Allison takes in only one go,
"Can you fly, too?"

"He can but he says that flying isn't his style." Kathleen says to him with a light tut.

"I am more than a hundred years old. I have a right to remain sober."

Kathleen rolls her eyes at him as Ethan wonders loudly,
"But why would you attend your own funeral?"
Allison shoots Ethan a raised brow as he says,
"They seem to be in an answering mood."

Henry spares a glance before looking at the window,
"I only met Miss Mathilda a handful of times in my lifetime, but never Fitzwilliam and Clarence."

After your death...

"Also, Evanna," Kathleen adds as she slowly descends to the wooden floor, her feet settling themselves while her arms are still neatly crossed against her chest.

Henry, his gaze still averted, nods slowly.

Allison's brows furrow, as she frowns.
"Henry, if you don't mind me asking, can you tell us what your disease was exactly? If it isn't too hard," she adds quickly.

Dylan stays silent, observing everything.

Kathy glances at Henry, while he nods.
"According to your modern medicine, I was born with a congenital heart defect. The syncope-- or fainting spells-- was a side effect of that and stress."

We all let that sink in, even more time passing, till I change the topic.

"How did you age?" I say, surprising my own self with those words.

"Every ghostly child grows till adulthood."

Dylan presses the back of his palm at his temple and nods slowly. Meanwhile, Allison and Ethan only remain static as though they've seen Medusa.

That's something Dad would have said, being a Greek mythology fanatic...

I try to resist the soft hilt of a dagger trying to pierce through my chest and deflate my lungs with some air.
Images of Dad come in flashes before my lashes which I endeavour to blink away.

The window rattles, setting Henry into motion. His head jerks away from gazing as he looks back at us.
"I believe you all have earned the right to know exactly why Meredith is doing what she does and why only you four have to suffer."

He examines everyone's now paled expressions before sighing. I look over at Gem and see her solemnly sitting upright.
"As you all know by now, Meredith has unrequited sentiments towards me and she also wished for immortality.
The curse, however, required some conditions and she fulfilled them."

"So, murdering your family and trapping you in a journal was a condition? What kind of payback is that for unrequited sentiments?"
Ethan raises an agitated brow in a perfect arc before Allison interrupts,
"Ethan, stop comparing this situation to your own."

The arch immediately breaks as Ethan blinks at his cousin. Allison gestures for Henry to continue, earning a light bow as a thank you from the ghost.
Dylan's eyes gaze momentarily shifts to Ethan and me before looking away again.