Epilogue (part 2)

Beginne am Anfang

*****

Demi pushed her cart through the aisles, carefully looking at the items stacked on the shelves. She wore black jeans, trainers, and a hoodie, and still had her sunglasses on although she was inside. Looking around her, she saw a bunch of mothers and their kids either sitting in the seat of the cart, or tugging on their mothers hands. She winced a little, as if someone had just punched her in the stomach.

Tugging on Lia's hand, Tori ran into the store, and immediately dragged her to the stuffed animal section, which was just by the entrance; walls stacked from top to bottom with all kinds of stuffed animals. Tori let go of Lia and started looking through the shelves, trying to find what she wanted. She loved cats.
"Don't you have enough stuffed animals? You could run like, 5 zoos." Lia joked with the eight year old. Tori shook her head and jumped up to grab a toy on a higher shelf, but couldn't quite reach it.
"Let me help you. Which one is it?" Lia asked her. Tori pointed directly to a kitten teddy, it was small and with ginger fur, and a white belly.
"This one?" Lia asked, picking up the ginger cat. Tori smiled and nodded, reaching her arms up to take the toy from Lia.
"Okay...but you know your mom doesn't like me buying you things, so don't tell her okay?" Lia said to her. She nodded, and cuddled the kitten into her chest.
"You don't have to get it for me, I just wanted to cuddle her." Tori said in a whisper, stroking the cat's fur.
"Tee, I'm gonna buy you all the things you want okay? What kind of big sister would I be if I didn't spoil you, huh?" Lia asked Tori.

Not long after Lia and Sara met that first time, Sara invited Lia for dinner at her apartment, to introduce her to Tori. Little did Lia know that Tori was the result of an affair between Sara and Lia's father. For almost 6 years, Lia had a little sister, of how much relation didn't matter to her, but she had a sister, and she'd missed out on the first 5 years of that little girls life. Lia had no hesitation to meet Tori and get to know her, and love her unconditionally. After all, they both had the same absent father. In the process of getting to know Tori, Lia soon discovered that the girl was riddled with anxiety, and only spoke to people she was completely comfortable with. It took a couple of years for Tori to even say hello to Lia, but she was persistent and had vowed not to give up on her little sister, they needed each other, and Lia would wait however long it would take to get a relationship with her, no matter how many years of her life she had missed.

The girls carried on walking through the aisles, Lia was picking stuff up and putting it back down, not seeming to be able to make a decision about what to get.
"What're you looking for Leelee?" Tori asked Lia as she played with her teddy.
"It's baby Ember's birthday tomorrow, she's gonna be 3 already, so I'm looking for a present for her." Lia explained to Tori.
"Doesn't she like the little mermaid?" Tori asked. Lia nodded, picking up a doll. Tori grabbed Lia's hand and led her to the younger kids toys. The girl sure knew her way around this store.

They walked over to the babies section, which usually went up to 3 years, and Tori ran down the aisle to the Disney section, looking up and down the shelves for something Little Mermaid. Lia had stopped a way behind Tori, and was staring at a woman with a shopping cart full of newborn items: bottles, pacifiers, diapers, baby grows, mittens, all in white. Lia's heart began to race as the girl turned around. Lia walked on after Tori, and pretended though she didn't just see Demi. Why did she have all that stuff in her cart? Maybe it wasn't her cart...maybe Dallas is pregnant? Thoughts were rushing through Lia's head faster than she could catch up with. She wasn't sure if Demi had seen her too, or if she hadn't noticed, but she was starting to convince herself that they made eye contact in the split second it took for Lia to walk away.
"How about this?" Tori pulled her out of her trance, and was holding up a bundle of Little Mermaid character soft toys. Lia stared at Tori for a few seconds, still dazed, before she could answer.
"That's perfect babe, yeah, let's go." Lia agreed, taking the set of toys from Tori and heading to the checkout.