27 - Company of wolves

Começar do início

Once we are dressed, Conall casually says, "You seem to have had a little trouble on your tail."

I freeze, the colour washing from my face at the thought of the elves. Conall places his hand reassuringly on my arm. "Fear not, my lady. You are quite safe now."

My body sags slightly as utter relief floods my system. We are free of them.

"If you will allow me to be your mount, it is a few hours ride to my home," Conall offers.

Aren manages to insert himself between us again, insisting, "I will carry Elissa."

"Aren, you have already done so much for me. Allow your cousin to share the burden." I try to reason with him, but he seems uptight.

Evidently Conall takes the subject as concluded and transforms into a chestnut stallion. Meanwhile, Aren takes to the air in a whirl of wings. 

Galloping, the wind whipping my hair and the wolves running by my side as escorts, I feel excited to be starting the next phase of my journey.

.....

Having showered and changed into a clean dress, I feel much better. I have been given a pleasant room and am currently trying to brush out all of the tangles in my poor hair. It is a while until dinner, so I am surprised when there is a knock on the door.

A young man enters wearing an intricately embroidered tunic. His golden hair falls in gentle waves to his shoulder, his face is handsome but has a wild edge and he has the most startling sky-blue eyes, which seem familiar.

Get a grip Elle. You are staring at the poor guy. "Hello?"

He smiles, flashing two dimples and inexplicably butterflies stir in my stomach.

"Elissa, do you not recognise me now?" Aren's tone is teasing.

OMG, I'm such an idiot. Embarrassed, I can feel my cheeks heating and I bite my lip. His eyes track the motion and he prowls towards me, with a feline grace.

"You never did try kissing me when I was an eagle to see if I would turn into a prince."

Finding myself unable to speak, I try to wave him off, but he transforms into a golden eagle. I shake my head, nevertheless I gamely kneel down on the floor and delicately kiss his beak.

His human form rushes up above me.  Theatrically, he looks himself all over and gives a deep sigh, "Alas, I am afraid that I am still myself."

Smiling up at him, I insist, "Good, I would not wish to change you." 

Holding out a hand, he helps me to my feet and rather than release me, he pulls me into his body, as if for a dance. The playful look on his face is replaced with an intense one. With his free hand, he gently cups my cheek and I am lost in eyes as blue as a summer's day.

Moistening his lips, he closes the gap between us and my heart races with anticipation. I find my eyelids fluttering and closing of their own volition. 

Crash! I almost jump out of my skin with shock. Before our lips have had a chance to meet, a man bursts into the room, sending the door crashing against the wall.