Captured

"Mom?" I screamed running through the icy streets of the southern water tribe. My footprints leaving a trail behind me. I looked through the dark sky.
The black snow was very unexpected by our people. Apparently it meant that someone was here, someone bad. I looked through the crowd of running people, my brother being one. He always was a boy for action. I on the other hand ran the opposite direction.
The men of my tribe gathered at the front line to see our visitors. Big black metal ships landed at our shores, the fire nation insignia waving on the flag. I gasped and started to back up. My breathing became harsh. "Mom." I whispered and ran to my igloo.
When I came through the curtain my mother was sitting near a fire. Writing in her leather book. Our igloo was very dark besides the small flame.
"Mom! Boats just landed here, big boats!" My mother turned and stood up. My mother looked down at her book, then put it away. She didn't move other than that. I was trembling from fear, confused of why my mother was not at this moment scared as well. But other than fear she looked to be sad. My mother clutched her necklace.

"Mom? Why are they here?" I could see my mom take off her necklace and bend down to put it on my neck. She smiled and pulled my chin up to look at her. I tilted my head in question. But she didn't move, her eyes stayed on mine.
She frowned and touched my cheek. Then stood and threw some water at the fire. The flame was diminished and the room went completely dark. I was still concerned about the fighting outside, but my mother was focused on her own thing.

"We have to protect dad." I stood in a Waterbending fighting stance.
I was eight years old and only learned a little Waterbending but I was determined to help my father. I wanted to defend my tribe. I started to run for the curtain. But my mom stopped me with a hand on my shoulder. She shook her head. I looked up at her with worried eyes. She had beautiful dark skin, and hair that came into a bun. And her eyes, they were a ocean blue. The same shade as mine. Her eyes held concern, but she hid it with a smile. Then she leaned down to kiss me on the forehead.

"Come my dear." She grabbed my hand and guided me outside of the igloo. Right when I walked out I could see big balls of fire. I twitched back but I mother stayed calm and brought me along with her. I wanted to run to my father, but my mother held me in place.

I realized mom was trying as hard as she could to face away from me. I tried to get her to look at me,but she refused to let me win.
When my mom relaxed her head I could see tears. Only barely. I could see her trying to be strong.

I decided to be strong with her. And both my mom and I walked slowly to the battle. The snow was turning black around my feet. And I could see flames fly in all directions.
We walked over a small snow hill and when we reached the top.
My mother stopped me. "Now stay here, I will handle this."
I looked over the hill at the battle.
It was bright with fire. I could see my father fighting a man dressed in red and black.
Very odd colors to see in my tribe.

When my mother walked closer to the battle, my father bolted up and ran to her. He jumped right in front of her, in attempt to protect her from any blow.
"Kya go back to the igloo!" He nudged her back gently, but she shook her head. He turned to face her.
She raised her hand to the side of his face. My fathers eyes were filled with worry. But mom gave him a small sad smile.

Around them the men of my tribe kept the soldiers away from my parents. But my mother turned towards them.
"Stop I know what you are here for!" She held her hands up. And slowly the WaterTribe citizens backed up. The Fire Nation men moved closer, ready to pounce.

"And what do you think that is?" One screamed from the crowd.

"The last Waterbender. I promise you there are no Waterbenders." She raised her voice.
The Fire Nation men started to close in. They obviously didn't believe her.