-One-

It's catching up with me
All that I've done
All that I've seen

It's holding me down
Not letting me be
I can't let go
Nor can I move forward

It's catching up with me
And I can do nothing
But watch from the sidelines
As what was once my life
Burns to the ground

-One-

It was a late January night in the year of 2001; a murky dark sky with frosty winds. It was a cold and harsh winter, chills were running through the dark, abandoned streets. Thick blankets of snow covered the eerily quiet streets and houses.

Far from the rest, closer to the trees, stood a lone house. Made from grey and brown bricks, very old and small. The door slanted and some of the windows, just a piece of cloth. No lights shone from inside the house. Life was at a sieze, as the family of five slept soundlessly inside, oblivious as to what was to come.

Suddenly a loud roar of fire sounded, black toxic smoke polluting the area. From the outside, the fire grew around the one story building, surrounding it. The blazes increased, licking at the side of the house. The makeshift windows flamed, inviting the fire in.

The hungry blaze of the fire crackled as it destroyed everything in its path. The burning flames swallowed up the old ripped couches and sofas, it's tounge traveling up the dirty brown curtains as the glass cracked and shattered at the intensity of the heat.

The crackling of the old wooden chairs and tables were loud and angry, as it broke and burned every last piece of the wooden objects.

Cold wind blew into the broken down house, giving the fire more life, more power to claim it's next victim. As the cool breeze soared through the cracking fire, the arms of the angry blaze moved up all the walls burning everything in sight.

The family pictures, inexpensive but meaningful decorations and memories, sentimental items alike turning into ashes and fading into nothingness.

The merciless fire migrated towards the rooms, the smoke and toxens seeping through every opining in the burning house.

From the distance, small and broken coughs could barely be heard over the growing destruction of the bursting fire.

"Mom! Mommy!" Brown hair flew against the hot mist of air as a pair of blue eyes took in the read fury hue surrounding her, fast.

"Mommy help me! It's hot." Her eyes closed at the intensity of the heat closing around her. Her coughs and harsh breaths swallowed up by the loud crackles of the fire. "D-daddy!"

***

"Athea! Hey, hey! It's ok," Hands softly shook her, trying to bring her out of her dark stooper. "Athea. Wake up, its just a dream."

Athea Meadow's breathes were harsh and uncontrolled, as she thrashed in her sleep. A layer of sweat had gathered along her forehead, under her nose and around her chin. Tears were running down her cheeks and the sides of her face, wetting her hair and the pillow.

Carina Espanso wiped her face with a soft cloth. She shook her one more time, before Athea slowly woke up. "It's ok, I'm right here." She reassured Athea. "You are ok."

Athea sat up, her eyes puffy and red. A sob left her mouth, her arms rapping around Carina.

"Same dream?" Carina pushed away from Athea a little, reaching for the cup of water. "Drink." She held the cup up to her lips, knowing she was too shaken up to drink on her own.