Chapter 6: Revenge of the Ace

Start from the beginning

"What?!" Brian said, irritated. He went forward and grabbed him by the scruff of his neck. "You little shit. I initially thought of killing you at once, but I guess you need a little more torture before you die. A duel it is, then." He faced to another bandit to his right near Slater, and nodded.

Before Slater could react, a stunning stab crippled him to the ground. To his surprise, he found out that he was just paralyzed. No matter what he tried, he couldn't move a muscle of his body. Overhead, a paralysis icon appeared next to his status.

"Eghh..." Slater tried to speak but failed.

"Your friend over here will witness your fail, and soon, his own." Brian said, opening his terminal. "Everyone, proceed to duel him. Let's beat him up real good he'd wish he'd die instead!"

It was bad. If there's one thing Slater was sure, it was that they were done for. The stab wound on his side was starting to hurt, and all of his body has been shocked to paralysis. They just came from a tiring battle earlier, and there was no way in hell they'd have enough energy to shrug off another bunch. Resistance was futile. And the worst thing is, he would be forced to witness Raiden get beaten to death.

Soon, they would also kill both of them.

Slater's mind spun wildly. Was it really a good choice to have saved this guy from the bandits? But now that he thought of it, Raiden also risked his life to save him from Clan Bonzoi. Still, they were now about to die. And no matter how hard he looked at it, they had no chance of turning their fate around.

Duel Start, the system voice coldly echoed.

Raiden unsheathed a Firesaber from his side. The blade glinted crimson red, flowing with its fiery element. Around him, the five bandits have completely surrounded him. This was bad-the killers were leveled about from 10-13. There was in no way he could picture Raiden winning the battle, before they could eventually outmatch him. What could his comrade possibly be thinking?

The bandits initiated the first attack. The group of bandits lunged at Raiden like hounds thirsty for blood. Slater witnessed as several daggers flung themselves at Raiden, some missing, some being parried, some defended, but most making contact.

Raiden...

Sparks flew around the battlefield. And blood.

No...

Another dagger caught Raiden's shoulder. And another to his thigh. Another one to his back. A brass knuckle found its way to Raiden's face, throwing him behind. Brian, slyly watching everything behind, brandished his dagger, waiting for the right moment.

No, no, no...

Raiden tried to stand up, but he had sustained enough damage and injuries, and the last stab he received induced slight paralysis. Slater looked above him and noticed his health was about a little more than a quarter in just a short amount of time.

Raiden, gripping firmly his weapon, ignored his sustained injuries and prepared to fend off another wave of knives and death. Slater could see from his eyes his desperation to win.

It was futile.

The band of thieves, bloodthirsty for another assault, lunged at Raiden again. Slater couldn't bear to watch anymore, but he had no choice. He was paralyzed strong enough to prevent his eyes from closing.

Raiden tried to fend them off, but he was exhausted from the start. He managed to parry several strikes and dodge another punch from the thiefess. Brian, however, began trudging to him slowly.

No...

The leader of the bandits, Brian, swiftly lashed behind like a snake. A strong dagger strike came from Raiden's back, stopping him for a moment. Brian made another slash at him, and Raiden limped away from them, reaching for his fallen sword.