Chapter 43 The Morning After

I opened my eyes, blinking to try and get the sleep out of them. I sat up and scratched my head. Aphmau was asleep on a spare mattress on the floor, and I smiled a little. I stretched my back and lightly walked over to my dresser, grabbing some sweatpants and a T-shirt. I removed some make up that was left over from the night before, brushed my teeth, and threw my hair into a messy bun.

I walked down the stairs, as quietly as possible for the pounding in my head was severe. I went into the kitchen, smiling at the plate of pancakes and hot coffee waiting on the table. I sat down and scarfed it down. Garroth walked in and smiled sadly.

"Hi...." He spoke quietly, "Aphmau told me about last night, you proved me wrong. You're definitely a wild party animal," he chuckled, "I made you this just about two minutes ago when I heard movement upstairs. Here's some medicine." He handed me two small pills. "And Travis is waiting out front when you're ready to talk to him."

Garroth rubbed my back quickly before kissing the top of my head and leaving the kitchen. I smiled and finished my breakfast, walking into the living room and pulling the curtains aside slightly to peak outside. Travis was leaning against his car, a cigarette in his mouth as he stared at the ground, only pulling the cigarette out to blow a small plume of smoke from his lips. I put on a sweater and put on some boots. After I put on a hat, I walked outside and crossed my arms.

"I didn't know you smoked."

He looked over at me, his eyes wide before throwing the cigarette butt into a nearby snow bank.

"I don't." He stalked towards me, wrapping his arms around me. I smiled and let his warmth envelop me.

"What are you doing here?"

"I've been here for hours, I was worried sick. So much happened within an hour, I wanted to make sure you were alright."

I laughed a little and let the silence fill between us. It was comfortable, his arms around mine while I kept my eyes gently closed as I let his scent calm the headache that drilled into my head.

"So are you going to explain what happened?"

"I don't know..."

"Katelyn...you know how we're trying the whole dating thing?"

"Yeah."

"Well we're gonna need to be able to talk things out. And I dunno, this doesn't feel like communication to me." I laughed a little and pulled my head back to look at him.

"I know," I sighed, "I've been thinking a lot lately, about you and me," I started as I played with the button of his shirt.

"Oh? And that caused you to drink profusely?"

"No," I laughed, "it was the fact that I think we're moving so fast, we haven't slowed down to think or talk about us."

"You're right. But I still want to know what happened."

"The rush of emotions panicked me, I feel like an idiot for downing four cups of whatever that stuff was."

I felt his chest rumble as he laughed loudly. There was a sharp pain in my mind, but I decided that it wasn't something to complain about.

"Yeah, that much that fast wasn't exactly the smartest decision."

"Anyways, let's change the subject. You smoke?"

"Nope."

"Travis."

"I don't, so how did Garroth react to your drunk escapades?"

"He was sweet about it, made me a nice breakfast and gave me some medicine for the pounding headache. Now I think I should survive until school on Monday."

He finally let go of me, and the sudden cold air made me shiver a little, so I rubbed my arms.

"I should probably get going, i have to work on that art project."

"Alright, see you soon."

"Yup, and keep my jacket by the way."

I stopped short of going inside and turned only to see Travis getting in his car and driving off before I could say anything or before I could protest the idea that I was keeping his jacket.

I walked back inside the house, looking around and spotting Aphmau on the couch. She looked over and smirked.

"Saw you out there with Travis, I swear, he would not stop calling last night. It woke you up a couple of times, but you would just throw up."

"Oh gosh, I don't even remember that."

"Yeah, but then when he knew you were awake he tried to get me to hand the phone over to him, but I refused."

"I'm so sorry, I must have been a nightmare."

She shrugged and grinned.

"I was just happy to help." I sat down next to her and curled up with my head in her lap.

"I still feel like complete and utter shit."

"I'm sorry," she cooed, stroking my head. "Mind telling me what last night was about?"

"Drank too much too fast."

"But you're Katelyn. The most responsible person I know. Something had to of made you drink, was it Tr-"

"No, I don't know what came over me." I stopped her before she could say his name. I didn't wanna remember that night anymore. I wanted to forget that it ever happened.

I closed my eyes gently and let the gentle strokes of her hand on my hair calm my aching head.

I was pulled out of the comfort when my phone started ringing on the table. I groaned and looked at the caller ID.

"Um...I gotta take this," I said quietly before stepping out of the room to click answer. "Hello?"

"Hello, Katelyn. This is the person who hired you. Chad. I just called to see how the mission was going."

I had almost forgot about it...

"Good."

"Are you around people who can't know about this mission?"

"Yes."

"Oh, that's why the progress report is vague, correct?"

"Yup."

"Alright, well clear your throat and say goodbye if you will call me later. If not, don't you dare hang up and get rid of the people or find some privacy."

"I should let you go," I cleared my throat, "I'll talk to you later tonight, alright."

"Okay. Bye."

"Bye."

When I ended the call, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

Not what I needed to make me feel less sick.

A/N I just realised...how long is this flipping book going to be?! I'm already in the forties.....I don't know, it might go really long, I might do some time skips, I might make things move a little faster, I might delete everything and become a nun. Either way, I'm afraid to go to sleep tonight, so I might get a lot done. Who knows. I love you all devils, byeeeeeee.
Song: Northern Downpour by Panic! at The Disco