Chapter 41 The Christmas Party

The Christmas party at Ivy's house was tonight, and I groaned at the mere idea of the fact that I would spend the night at someone's house that I didn't like, listening ot music I don't like, drinking illegal drinks, and having to eventually abandon the crowd and find somewhere to hide and be anti-social.

Aphmau had come over to get ready with me, and she was bouncing with excitement.

"I can't believe your mom is letting you go to this party tonight, she hates anything that involves boys and this party will be swarming with hormonal ones that are most likely drinking."

"I just told her Ivy was throwing a party, so she assumed it would be like a girl sleep over thing. Which reminds me, I forgot to ask, since she thinks I'm spending the night there, I can't go home after tha party, so would you mind if I spent the night here?"

"Sure." I shrugged. Aphmau grinned and hugged me.

"Alright, so I bought our dresses an-"

"We have hours before the party, can we just sit around and talk for a bit?" I pleaded, not wanting to get too dressed up too early.

"Alright." She spoke in her cheerful tone and sat on my bed with me. "So I need an update on the whole Travis and the friend-zone thing."

I blinked in surprise and cleared my throat in attempt to distract my body from letting a blush rise to my cheeks.

"We're fine being friends, honestly I don't think we see each other as anything more."

"Stop lying for five minutes, please?" She begged. "Do you like Travis as more than a friend in any way?"

I bit my lower lip, not sure if what I would tell her would be a lie masked as the truth, or a truth masked as a lie.

"Um...well...a little?" I kept my voice lower, not wanting to say anything loud. The idea that I was actually starting to fall for the moron terrified me, and it all felt more real saying it out loud.

"Katelyn! He totally likes you back! Don't drag him on for too long! You don't wanna send mixed signals, do you?"

"I just got out of a relationship, and I don't wanna rush into another one. And I'm still not entirely sure what I feel, it's that weird confusing kind of thing that could grow or fade at any given moment." I tried to reason with her, but trying to reason with Aphmau was a hopeless cause. I futile effort that only made everyone exhausted in the end.

"But you two are so perfect for each other!" She complained, leaning back and laying flat on the bed.

"So you say."

"Yes, I do say! So that means it's true!"

"How does that even work?"

"It just does, alright?"

"Whatever, I don't believe you."

"You have a crush on him, you're supposed to be acting all gushy and stupid for no reason, giggling at the sound of his name, blushing at the thought of him. You're doing this all wrong!" She giggled at me, throwing a pillow. I sighed and looked at the clock.

"I think we should start getting ready now, to move the conversation to literally anything else."

I turned on some music and watched as Aphmau danced around the room and I got lost in thought.

I hated the idea of Travis one second, but adored it the next. I knew that it was wrong, that it was dangerous to let the walls around my heart fall. I knew that by the end of this I would have to kill him, and I would get hurt if I let myself fall in love with him.

Besides, love was pointless. Love was a dangerous thing, especially for someone like me, someone in my line of business. Being who I was, something could backfire at any moment, I was raised to know that. My whole life I was told that no one was allowed to get close to me, and vise versa. If someone was close to me, I would spill secrets. I would tell them confidential information. Love was the most dangerous. I was brought up to listen to the rules, and letting people know about the agency was strictly off limits. And in my line of business, you could lose anyone at any minute. I allowed myself to get close to Garroth, but he was the only one in the entire facility that I more than tolerated.

"Katelyn, hurry up, go get dressed!" Aphmau ordered, shoving a casual white dress into my arms. I nodded and put on my best fake grin before walking into the bathroom and leaning on the closed door.

If I spent too long getting lost in my own head, then it could get the best of me.

I put on the dress and took a steadying breath.

Focus on the mission.

Focus on nothing else.

Forget emotions.

You can turn them off.

They will ruin you if you don't.

I walked out of the bathroom and Aphmau jumped up and down while clapping her hands.

"You look amazing!" She cheered, grabbing my hand and setting me down at the vanity. I quietly thanked her as she began curling my hair.

I watched as she turned me into a more refined version of what I already was.

Once we were both ready, Garroth tossed me the keys, claiming he wanted to stay as far away from Ivy as long as he could. It was understandable, she had become sort of a stalker at school, and it was really creepy.

We drove up to the large brick house where pounding music leaked through every speaker, and oddly coloured lighting flowed out of the windows. There were a couple of teens spread out on the front lawn, talking in the more quiet part of the party. A couple people crowded the doorway, and the rest of the people were inside, dancing or talking, or shoving their tongues down someone's throat.

Aphmau raced into the house, dragging me behind her.

I'd rather be anywhere but here.

A/N A crappy chapter written by a girl who is in a crappy and bitter mood. Sorry I've been crap at updating, but I'm not having the best of luck with life. It's the usual, my heart hurts, my family is dramatic and crappy at the moment, and Valentine's is coming up. And yes, I know, Christmas was a while ago, but guess who has two thumbs and doesn't give a damn, this girl. Anyways, I'm not really "happy" with what's been going on, but I should bounce back. I love you all devils, byee.
Song: Where We Land by Ed Sheeran