Chapter 26 The Sicky

November was a beautiful month.

Possibly my favourite

I looked outside the classroom window, upset that it hadn't snowed yet, snow was the best part of the year. Everything was picturesque, and it was like living in a postcard.

"Katelyn, the bell rang," Aphmau giggled. I snapped out of my trance.

"Sorry, I was just lost in thought."

"About?"

"Just upset that it hadn't snowed yet," I shrugged. Aphmau nodded in understanding. We walked down the halls, going to our lockers to get ready to leave. I packed my book bag and met Aph at her locker.

"So what are you doing this weekend?" She asked as she closed her locker door.

"I don't know yet, I was hoping to catch up on a few personal projects."

"Like?"

"I was thinking or re-decorating," I shrugged.

"Sounds fun."

"Meh, just something I've wanted to do since I moved in, but never got a chance to because of all the school work we've been getting."

"I know, it's insane really."

"Well when midterms are coming up in a week, they seem to think cramming more work into our minds will somehow help?" I questioned sceptically. Aphmau laughed a little and we stopped at the end of the school driveway.

"This is where we go our separate ways, text you later," she waved and walked to the left while I took a right turn.

Garroth had gotten sick, so he wasn't there to drive me, and he also didn't trust my driving skills, telling me I was too fast and dangerous for my own good.

As I walked through the front door, the presence of Garroth was laying awkwardly on the couch.

Great, now I have to sanitise.

"You're home?" His hoarse voice spoke up, sounding as rough as he looked.

"Yeah."

"Bring me anything?"

"Other than homework and best of wishes from Aphmau, not a thing," I sighed, setting his books on the coffee table next to the several wadded up balls of tissue. "I'm sorry, was the trashcan too far away?" I crossed my arms and gestured to the garbage can that was literally right beside where he was stacking them.

"My arm couldn't reach," he lazily showed how far his arm could reach, but all I saw was the laziest man ever to exist in my presence. I rolled my eyes and walked into the kitchen.

I shrieked to see Travis casually sitting at the breakfast bar, flipping through a magazine.

"Don't you have to be stupid somewhere else?!" I shouted, angry.

"Not until four."

"Oh, Travis is here," Garroth called. I let out a breath and held a hand to my chest.

"What are you doing here?" I walked around to make some tea.

"Well I knew you wouldn't be home for a little while, and I wanted to visit Garroth," he shrugged, not turning his gaze from the glossed papers that were sitting in front of him.

"Leave whenever you'd like," I suggested. I felt him look at the back of my head, his confusion dripping off him in waves. "It wasn't meant to be an insult or a subtle way to ask you to leave, sorry, I'm just tired and not all there right now."

"Midterms driving you crazy?" Travis laughed and now had his whole attention on me as I worked my way around the kitchen. I started making some soup while humming in consideration.

"Sorta, it's mostly the way it messed up my sleeping schedule. I was up late studying one night, and now I can't even begin to get tired until around 1am."

"That's not normal?" He joked. I laughed a little and let the ear screeching sound of the tea kettle fill my ears before I took it and poured it into a cup. I placed a tea bag inside the boiling water, adding a little bit of honey for a sore throat. Travis followed me into the living room. I tapped Garroth lightly and placed the hot tea on the coffee table.

"Drink this when you can, it'll help," he pouted but sat up nonetheless. When I saw him take the first sip, I went back to keep an eye on the soup.

"If you want, you can text me whenever. I'm usually up most hours of the night," Travis suggested. I smiled softly and leaned on the counter.

"I might take you up on that offer, but if I text you, then it might just screw me over more than my sleeping schedule already has," I meant for it to come off as more lighthearted, but it sounded too cynical. Travis' shoulders slumped a little, but the smile never fully faltered.

"Well the offer is still there."

I nodded as I returned my attention on the soup, even though it didn't need much of it, but for some reason I felt awkward suddenly. His gaze was soft and gentle, and his words were barely above a whisper as the small smile grew with the statement.

Memories of the "breakup" flashed in my mind. His words of compassion loud. My chest filled with warmth again, and I felt another tiny piece of my wall break.

He cares. Not just about me, but about my only family.

I felt an idiotic smile rise. I quickly forced it away before turning back to him. He didn't try to hide his goofy smile though, because he was a complete dork and idiot and didn't care. He was an open and transparent book.

"I appreciate it," I said softly. Travis nodded once before turning to leave the kitchen. "Where are you going?"

"Home, you're here so at least there's someone here who can look after old sicky, I'm no longer needed."

I bit my lower lip, trying to think of an excuse to make him stay.

For the mission, of course.

"Do you understand the science?" I called out just before the kitchen door swung shut. Travis turned around and leaned on the doorway.

"Yeah, why?" With a raised brow, an amused smile dancing on his features, he tilted his head like a puppy would.

"I....I'm confused about something, could you help me?"

Man, pride was hard to swallow.

Travis' face lit up and he held up a finger, signifying he would be back in a second. He returned with his book bag and he pulled out his science textbook and papers. He was like a child on Christmas day, yet he was doing science homework.

It was the strangest thing I had ever seen.

A/N Midnight. My favourite time to write. Ha. Ha. Someone help me before I grow feathers and turn into an owl. I love you all devils, byeeeeeeeeeee.
Song: Cold Coffee by Ed Sheeran