Chapter 7: The Cats

I opened my eyes and groaned. The mornings were getting harder, and it was only the second day.

I went through the whole mess of getting ready, grabbing toast, and getting in the car with Garroth. But for some reason the second day was insanely different.

I walked through the front doors, and it was strangely quiet for a crowded hallway. People were whispering and watching me, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. It wasn't until jovial footsteps running towards me that I realised I was walking slower to try and listen.

"Katelyn!" Aphmau cheered, wrapping her arms around me.

It was weird, this girl had only known me about half a day, yet was already jumping into my arms. Nobody smiled at me the way she did. Nobody smiled that way at an assassin.

But she doesn't know who she's smiling at.

Aphmau was still kind of a mystery to me. I mean, she's kind of like a photograph. What you see is just that, you can't see past her outside walls. She's the kind of girl who you would see in a commercial. Like she's being forced to be happy, or that she's too happy. Like it's all one big act. She seems to talk with exclamation marks, and always sees the good in everything and everyone.

And she's my target's best friend.

I needed to break her, pick up every piece, and study it closely.

Because I can see the whole facade she puts up. But I can't see why, or behind it. Everyone seems to like her, and it's not like she has anyone wanting to be her. She's adorable.

But even the cutest things can have the darkest habits.

"Aphmau, hey," I greeted, a small yawn escaping my lips. Aphmau giggled and let go of me.

"Come on!" She grabbed my wrist and started dragging me down the hallways.

"Uh, Aph?" She stopped and looked at me with her big hazel eyes.

"Yeah?"

"Why is everyone staring at us?"

"Oh, they're not staring at us they're staring at you," she shrugged.

"What?! Why?!"

"Turns out Garroth is really protective," she giggled, "he saw one guy checking out your butt, and now the whole school is afraid to go near you."

My eyes widened, and I balled my fists. I clenched my teeth and my feet suddenly felt like cement.

"Everyone listen up!" I shouted, "whatever a certain blonde moron told you about leaving me alone, is a bunch of bull. Now go about your daily lives."

Everyone looked at each other, and then disbanded into the mess of students they were.

"That was so cool!" Aphmau squealed, grabbing my arm and pulling me away. Where was she even taking me to? Travis and Garroth came into view and Aphmau let go of my arm only to go over and grab Travis by his. She tugged him over to me, and Garroth followed. I glared at him, and he seemed to know what I meant. He quickly looked away, his face going pale. "Everyone follow me! I got something cool to show you before school."

Aphmau started skipping down the hall, Garroth being the poor soul who she was dragging by his arm. Travis and I walked side by side, laughing at the spunky shortcake dragging someone who was almost twice her size.

"Looking beautiful as ever, Katelyn."

"Oh shut up," I sighed, "so what do you think she found?"

"I'm not sure, all I know is; as long as it's something to make her smile like that, it's good," he shrugged.

"Aww, do you have a crush on her?" I teased, hoping he didn't. It would interfere with the mission.

"No, of course not," he chuckled, "she's my best friend. I like to see her happy."

"Understandable."

"You'd want the same for Garroth, right?"

"That's debatable..." I mumbled. Travis laughed again and bumped into me.

"Oh come on, of course you do. Isn't he your best friend?"

"Yeah, closest thing I have right now, at least."

"Then you want the best for him. Any good person wants that for a friend."

"Maybe I'm not a good person."

"That's ridiculous, I know you are."

"What makes you say that?"

"'Cause you were nice to Aph, not everyone is."

"What do you mean not everyone is? She's adorable, how could anyone hate her?"

"I dunno, she gets made fun of for stupid little things, like being short, or how naïve she is, or if she's not the best in a subject," he shrugged, trying to seem nonchalant about it all, but he was obviously very upset about the whole ordeal, "for awhile the teasing stopped, but then he graduated."

"What?"

"Aaron, Aphmau's boyfriend. He graduated two years ago, so now she doesn't really have anyone to protect her besides me, and I suck at it," he turned his gaze to the floor, angry with himself.

So she has a boyfriend....

We walked out to the school garden. Aphmau and Garroth were kneeling on the ground, and from what I could see, they were kneeling by a box. Travis and I walked over and knelt beside them. Inside the box were four kittens.

"Aren't they just precious?" She whispered, lowering her hand so one of them could rub it's head on her palm.

"Where did you find them?" I asked, slowly reaching out to a brown and white one.

"They were in the corner of the garden, avoiding getting wet on a rainy day. I fed them and now they have this little house."

"Well, hate to be the party pooper, but they can't just stay here," Travis reminded her. She pouted a little and picked one up, bringing it to her chest.

"I know...any of you want one?" She piped up, almost begging us.

"Garroth and I will take one each," I spoke up, not even giving it a second thought.

"You will?" Aphmau lit up, bouncing on the balls of her feet.

"We will?" Garroth asked, deadpanning.

"We will."

Aphmau set down the kitten and tackled me with a hug.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She cheered, then she gave Garroth a hug too, also tackling him. "Which ones will you take?"

I picked up the brown and white spotted one I was petting earlier, and held it carefully in front of my face.

"This one."

Garroth picked up a black one with purplish and white spots.

"I like this one."

"Travis will you take one?" Aphmau sat on her knees, practically begging him.

"You know I can't have a pet in the dorm," he sighed. She slumped her shoulders, looking at the two remaining cats.

"Well, for now they can stay here," she stood, dusting off her skirt, "come on, we gotta get to class."

Garroth and I put the kittens in the box to be taken at the end of the day.

"Didn't know we were adopting cats on this mission..." Garroth whispered as we walked back into the school.

"Didn't know you were my protector," I snapped, "besides, it'll gain brownie points with Aphmau."

Garroth sighed that sigh he always did when he knew I was right, and he was tired of it.

"Fine, I just hope you know what you're doing..."

Me too.

A/N So this was kind of a boring part, but they need to happen. I'm trying to change my writing style a little bit, so yeah, we'll see how it works. I love you all devils, byeeee.
Song: You Don't Own Me