Chapter 2: The Assignment

I shot at the targets and smirked as each one fell over.

Gunpowder and smoke was an obvious scent, and it was ever so satisfying to see the thick grey smoke lift and loom over the once standing target.

"Katelyn!" I heard my name being shouted between gunshots. I lowered the gun and removed my ear things that muffled the sound of the gun being fired.

"Yeah?" I turned around, looking at Jeffory in the doorway.

"Tonight's a dinner for everyone in the facility. You gonna be there?"

"I guess, couldn't hurt."

"Good..."

"Why?"

"Uh....no reason," and he ran off before I could ask more questions. I rolled my eyes and looked at the time.

An hour until dinner. Well...what I assume is the time dinner will be.

I put the gun and equipment away, and walked back to my room.

"Guess I should wear something other than cargo pants and a black tank top..." I mumbled, looking through my closet. I ended with picking out just some black jeans and a T-shirt of my favourite band.

I listened to some music until there was a knock at my door. I opened it to see Garroth. I rose a brow.

"I'm here to escort you to dinner," tiny beads of sweat trickled down his forehead.

"Escort me?"

"Yes," he tried to keep a straight face, but he was obviously nervous about something, wringing his wrists and chewing on his lower lip.

"What's going on?"

Garroth walked into the room, closing the door behind him. I just noticed the dress pants and blue button up shirt he was wearing.

"There's a guest for dinner. My father told me it was one of our facility's most valued client. So we need to be on our best behaviour. I'm warning you now, you should put on something a little more...dressy."

"I'm not wearing a dress."

"Put on something nicer," he went to my closet and found a nicer shirt, "put this on."

I rolled my eyes and went into the bathroom. I came back out and Garroth let out a breath he was holding.

"Okay, we need to go."

He wrapped his arm around mine and dragged me out of the room.

"Now, we must be polite, don't speak out of line, and be respectful, behave, and maybe we'll get out of this alive. And please, for the love of Irene, please don't talk back to anyone."

"Why is this such a huge deal, so they're the facility's best client. Why are we having dinner with them?"

"Because we're 17, a year away from becoming professional assassins. This customer likes to try new people from time to time. And they pay well. He wants to choose one or two of us to try and get the newest target. He also needed our age group for this specific one."

"You really want this, don't you?"

"Well, yeah. It would make my father proud."

I smiled and we slowed to a stop right outside the door.

"Alright, don't screw this up."

We walked in, only to see everyone was already there.

"I found her," Garroth smiled, bringing me to my respected seat. He pulled it out for me, and pushed it in under me as I sat down.

"Sorry to be late," I smiled, looking around the table. Sitting at the head of the table, was a man. He had brown hair and brown eyes, along with a big mustache.

"That's quite alright, Miss. Rizu. Sorry to hear about your parents. They worked for me a lot. I was fond of their work."

"Thank you."

"So, now that we're all here. I would like to discuss the job I have. Think of this as a final exam. Do it right, you'll be promoted to a professional straight away. Do it wrong, and you'll be killed. I have looked at all of your reports, and have already made my decision. Miss. Rizu, I'm choosing you."

My eyes widened and I smiled.

"Thank you so much, sir."

"And you are free to pick one person to go with you. Whomever you choose will make you or break you, so choose wisely. I don't need to know right away, but for now let's talk about the target. His name is Travis Valkrum. A boy your age, and I want you to not just kill him. But break him."

"Excuse me but, why kill someone so young?"

"His family has caused me enough grief. And now he plans on making things on me harder, so I need him eliminated from the game."

"Very well."

"I'm afraid I have no pictures of him, but I do have his file," he slid a beige folder down the table, and to me, "that is his location. Now, you and the partner you choose, will be sent to that boarding school, going there and pretending to be students. You must keep your grades up to not have suspicion or unwanted attention, you will go under different last names, and you must have this boy fall in love with you, that way killing him is far more sweet and sickeningly cruel. Am I clear?"

"Yes, sir."

"You leave in two days. If you need information call the number provided inside the folder. Good luck." He stood up and shook director Garte's hand.

As soon as the man left Garte glared at his son before grinning at me.

"Good job, Katelyn. Do you know who you're bringing?"

"Garroth," I said without a second thought. Not needing a second thought. He stood up and his expression lit up.

"Really?!"

"Yes, I feel like he deserved this role more than me anyways, this was the least I could do."

Director Garte nodded.

"Take your food to your rooms, or do whatever. I don't care," and he left. Garroth ran over and hugged me.

"You're the best."

"I know how much it means to you. You owe me."

"I do."

"Okay, sappy best friend moment is over, let go."

He chuckled and let go, backing away and walking over to Laurance and Dante. I sighed and went to my room. I pulled out a suitcase and a carry on bag. I started putting clothes in them and the dark room around me was silent. I went over to my desk and picked up the few photos I had of my parents. I frowned and slipped them in the bag. I grabbed my toiletries and other essentials, packing them up.

I sat on my bed after I had finished packing, and sighed.

Is this what I want?

A/N I am very excited for this book, but I don't even know where I'm going with it. Just letting my fingers move however they want, and the words that come out are just my first initial thoughts, so that's that. I love you all devils, byeeeeee.
Song: How Do You Love Someone by Ashley Tisdale