Clouds

(PHOENIX)

I couldn't see anything. The whole world was encased in darkness. A doctors voice was speaking quietly to someone and I urge my drowsy self to listen.
"The half of his brain that malfunctioned from the bull riding incident lost blood. When we gave him new blood it seems to be healing."
"He's going to be back to how he was?" Johnny asks.

"He will no longer have episodes. Yes." I felt a hand gently running through my hair. I knew it was Kim.
"Hear that Nix?" She whispered in my ear "we're all safe now." Her voice was hoarse and it was clear she'd been crying for a while but I couldn't open my eyes. The doctor talked for a few more minutes before walking out.

"Kim. We have to go." Emily said. What? Go where?
"Okay." Kimberly muttered before kissing my forehead lightly.
"I'm just going to school. I'll be back." Okay. I hope her first day goes well. I wanted to be there for her. I guess I won't be.

I hear a shift beside me and I figured someone moved seat.
"Bro. You need to wake up. For Emily, for Kim," he paused and I could hear him taking a slow breath "for me." I want to wake up. I'm trying but I can't!
"It's been a week and a half since Kimberly went back to school. Things aren't going well for her." A WEEK AND A HALF!

"She talks to you every day about how her day has went. It hurts to listen to. She puts on a smile even though you won't see it." My hear throbs and I just want to hug her. "She's back to wearing long sleeves again. But it's autumn and getting warmer." Kim. I'm so sorry. I feel tears welling up in my eyes but they stay burning in my eyes. When I hear Johnny sniff I know she's crying.

"She tells you how great the lessons were today or how the teacher didn't call on her to read. But Emily told me the truth. The girls are attacking her every day. Calling her names and bashing her at recess and lunch. Even the teachers have turned on her. Giving her more homework and punishing her for being too distracted to finish it." Johnny coughs to clear his throat.

"I don't know why I'm talking to you. You could be asleep." I'm not! I'm awake! Johnny please keep talking. I need to wake up! "But Kimberly said some coma patients could hear the whole time but not respond. So I'm taking a chance."

"She believes in you Phoenix. So much. But I'm scared for her. With everyone turning on her and you in a hospital bed. There's not much Emily and I can do to save her. We're really trying." Save her? As in from the girls at her school? "We've caught her three times already, trying to die." Oh Kim. Please don't. I need to see her why can't I wake up! The tears building up in my eyes escape and one goes rolling down my cheek. A sudden intake of breath happens beside me. Did Johnny see that?

"Phoenix? Oh my gosh Phoenix you can hear me." He wipes the tear off my face. A new feeling of hope must have gotten into him.
"Man we need you awake. She doesn't know you can hear her. You have to wake up. Try." I'm trying you idiot but I can't. "Your finger moved! Come on. Keep trying. She needs you. She'll be back once school is over." I keep trying to wake up until I do the opposite, I get tired and fall asleep.

(KIMBERLY)

Today was worse than the others. Emily had to leave at recess to go to the doctors and Harriet attacked me as much as she pleased. I didn't even fight it today or try to defend myself. I got tripped into desks, beaten and teased. I make my way to Phoenix's room and sit down beside him with a fake smile on my face.

"Hey Nix. I loved my day today. I don't know why I didn't join art club sooner at lunch. It's so much fun. I wish you were awake so you could see the art I've done." I look down at my wrist covered in a long sleeve top. "I drew with different lines today. That was interesting." My phone beeps and I look down briefly to read the message.

Is your dog dead yet?

I turn my phone back off again.
"You're looking better. The doctor said you-" my phone beeps again and I check it.

He should've been shot in the head.

"The doctor said you should be waking up. Last week was when most people wake up. But maybe you just need more time." Beep.

Kill yourself emo

My eyes tear up as I watch my boyfriends chest going up and down quickly. He looks like he's going to cry. But he's in a coma. He's not really awake and he can't hear me. Beep.

I wouldn't want to wake up to your face either.

Beep.

Can't believe you lasted this long.

Beep.

Both of you in hospital. One trying to live one trying the die.

"My day has been great Phoenix. I wish you could've been here with me. But I have to say goodbye now. I have to go." My voice wavered but I lean forward to kiss his forehead. His eyelashes flutter a bit. Probably from my breathing. "I love you Phoenix. Please don't forget me, it's time for me to fly." I smile a little bit before walking out of his room and bursting I to tears. Beep.

Die.
No one wants you
Your boyfriend ain't waking up
Jump I dare you
Climb to the top of the hospital and "accidentally fall."

I read the last text. One word enters my head as I walk to the elevator. One word as i step out onto the roof and One word as I sit with my legs over the edge of the fifty story building. The one word I was thinking of left my mouth quietly gone in the wind.
"Okay.." As I look down and feel the wind wrap around me I shut my eyes.

"I'm sorry mum, I'm sorry dad. I never meant to be such a stuff up. I'm sorry for crying. I'm sorry for wasting the life you gave to me. I never tried to make you happy and I know I should have. I'm sorry Johnny and Emily. For making you put up with me. I'm sorry for scaring you when I attempted the last times. I'm sorry for not succeeding sooner." I look down at my feet dangling over the edge and decide to stand up. My feet step one in front of the other just on the edge of the building.

"Im sorry Phoenix. I'm sorry for crashing into you. I'm sorry for being scared of your episodes. I'm sorry that you aren't ever going to wake up." A gasping breath scrapes through my mouth as I cover it with one hand. "I'm sorry you got shot. I'm sorry you thought you loved me and I'm sorry for wasting your time with my love, it was never enough. You are beautiful and kind and deserve more than me. But I wish. I really wish we could stay together forever." I extend my arms out and take a step into the clouds when someone grabs me by the waist and pulls me back onto the building.

I scream and kick trying to claw myself back towards the edge.
"Kimberly." I hear Phoenix's voice but I can't believe it.
"He's not here." I cry to myself covering my ears but the arms put me down and came to the front of me. It was him. My hands slowly drop to my sides and my mouth hung open.

"Baby girl. What are you doing." He whispers with tears rolling down his cheeks.
"But you were.. You aren't ever going to-"
"You wished we'd stay together forever.." He whispers moving my fringe out of my face "Wish granted." He leans forward and kisses me and I hesitantly kiss back. Is this really him.

I run my hand through his hair and he smiles a little bit. When we pull back I hug him tightly to which he groans.
"Kimmy. My stomach." I quickly let go and he chuckles.
"I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" I question and he nods before frowning slightly and studying my face.

"Baby. Promise me something?" I nod my head vigorously.
"Anything." And he watches me carefully.
"Never. Ever try something like this again." He whispers, his voice breaking slightly. I nod and hold his hand gently in my small one.
"Wish granted."