The Hand Bruise

(PHOENIX)
I get out of the shower and Kimberly is nowhere to be seen. The door is slightly open, I step forward when I hear a scream.
"Phoenix! Help me! Help! He-"
Quickly I race down the stairs jumping five at I time. I see Kimberly pinned against the door. Her towel laid on the ground. My stomach lurched and the tingle went up my spine. I won't hold back. Not this time.

"Kimberly! Watch out."
My voice comes out in a growl and I race toward the man. Kim scraped away and I launch at him. He turns around as I kick him in the stomach. I punch him in the neck. Continuing the punching I kick too. The man falls to the ground and I drop with him still punching. Kimberly's hand drops on my shoulder and she pulls me off, the towel re-wrapped around her.

My body turns to her and pull my hand back to punch the man again.
"No more. You'll kill him Phoenix."
"Good."
I growl and she knows what's happened. She runs her hand through my hair and a shiver goes through my body. I fall back and she sighs in relief.
"Let's get you out of here."

With my arm wrapped around her we walk back up the stairs and into the attic. I lock the door behind us and Kimberly is standing stationary.
"Kim."

My arms hug her tightly but she still stays emotionless. She grabbed her clothes and shook the towel off. After she had her under clothes on I took a step back and I saw the darkening bruises on and under her rib cage. Black hand marks belonging to that drunken pedophile. Raised thick red scratched show exactly where his hands went. I wince in remembrance but push back the thoughts and get changed. Once we were both dressed I drop onto a beanbag. Kimberly sat on the edge of the bed and looked at the floor. As I moved toward her she flinched and I saw the hurt in her eyes.
"Are you ready for the rodeo?"
She nodded and stood. Kim walked a few steps before I stood in front of her and she stopped. I was about to talk when she started.

"Don't Phoenix. Can we just.. Forget it ever happened and have fun at the rodeo?"

"Sure."
I smile and kiss her on the forehead. She looks up to me, jokes playing in her eyes I realise that I did it again.
"You missed."
She points at her lips. I kiss her on the mouth then whisper.
"I love you. Now let's got to a rodeo."

*Skipping car ride there because I can*

(KIMBERLY)
My first rodeo was when I was seven. Full of cowboys and cowgirls waiting to have fun on a cow. Dad didn't have time for rodeos anymore. He didn't have time for anything anymore. Let alone me. Looking out at the rodeo I smiled at all of the country faces and animals.
"This is awesome!"
I exclaim to Phoenix. His outfit made him look even more adorable and he smiled jokingly.
"Meh, it's pretty cool I guess. If you're a cow."
Swatting his arm I prance off toward the ring of dirt where they ride the cows. The metal fence kept the crowd away from the bulls. A gate flung open and a bull rider raced out on top of a massive black bull with foaming jaws. It bucked and jumped showing how well he could stay on.

8 seconds

He leaps off and does him gun show. Impressive.
"Yeah, yeah. Keep moving."
Phoenix ushered me away from the ring and I just smile at his cute possession he holds over me.
"You're just jealous that you can't do that."
I state prancing away toward the mechanical bull. He scoffed and rolled his eyes. Hmm, I wonder.
"Let's go on the mechanical bull! And we'll see who gets the best time."
His eyes darkened as he looked over at the bull and he looked over his shoulder then to the ground.

"Phoenix what aren't you telling me?"
His eyes snap up to meet mine and he steps forward till we're a foot apart. He leans his head back pointing at a scar running underneath his ear and onto his neck. I run my finger gently on it.
"I'm not jealous of them. I can do what they do. I did."

Referring to the scar I ask my question.
"What happened."
"I made the eight seconds. But the bull went after me. It's horns hit me first. That's all."
He shrugs on the third sentence in. I half whimper before looking back at the metal bull.
"I'm sorry."
"Nah."
He shrugs again and takes my hand.
"I'm gonna win though."
Phoenix smirked at me and I got on the bull first and hold onto the rope tightly.
"Only one hand, chica."
He smiles with his tongue between his teeth. I roll my eyes and let go with one hand.

If I'm gonna do this. I'm gonna win. The bull starts as the operator pushes a button. Forwards then backwards it went. Then it started spinning. Eventually it was going crazy and I flew off, bounced off the mattress and out of the door smacking me into the grass. Phoenix dropped down quickly.
"Kim? Are you alright?"
Relief washed over his face as he saw me laughing and nodding.

"Kimberly. What are you doing here? Your face will scare the bulls even more."
I look up and stand with Phoenix's help. Harriet. I hold my wrists behind me and Phoenix protectively wraps his arm around me.
"I'm sorry. Do you have a problem with my girlfriend?"

Mind. Blown.

Harriet looks up and Phoenix then down at me.
"She's your girlfriend?.. Mmmm."
Phoenix's eyes turned to fuming slits.
"Yeah, she's my girlfriend. And I'll knock the 'mmmm' right out of your mouth."
His voice on the edge of growling I knew he was fighting the monster. I entangle my hand in his hair and his shoulders slowly slacken. Harriet rolls her eyes before smirking evilly.
"Why would you like a girl who slits her wrists?"
My mouth opens wide. I look at the ground. Laughing she walks off with the rest of her stupid barbie group. I cannot believe she just said that.

Phoenix looked his sad eyes down at me and I force on a smile.
"your turn."