Chapter 65

||"I look at you, and I just love you, and it terrifies me. It terrifies me what I would do for you."||

So much had happened in the last two years that had let up to this moment.

So much destruction and pain and death.

Wanda, sadly, just so happened to be in the middle of it.

The destruction of her home; the pain of her losses; the death of everyone she loved.

How was she supposed to live her life being kind when all the world knew how to do was take and take and take.

There was nothing left of her now, he could see that in her face—in her red eyes—as she ripped Markus' heart out.

No humanity.

But he loved her nonetheless.

He always would.

He loved her so much that he didn't even try and comfort her when she finally broke the iridescent dome, or when she placed her jacket over Nik's dead body or when she told them to split up. Wanda was walking on a very thin line between rage and total chaos. Pushing her toward the latter would only bring more death.

So he agreed to split up and he ran off to the front side of the building and away from the woman he loved because he knew staying would only cause more damage.

But little did Steve know that leaving or staying wouldn't have mattered.

Wanda stepped over to the side of total chaos the moment she walked into the main building.

Him being there with her wouldn't have changed a thing.

Because by the time he and the others finished picking off the rest of Markus' men near the entrance of the compound, Wanda had already peeled off the last part of her sanity.

Steve thought he'd seen her at her lowest after she'd lost Pietro, but he was wrong.

What he saw when he walked into the living room of the main building brought back memories of what he'd seen during the war.

There was blood on the walls and bodies on the floor.

Standing in the middle of the room was Wanda, her arms and hands covered in blood, her eyes red with angry tears, her body shaking slightly.

Natasha was hunched forward near the entrance, her arm behind her back, her hand wrapped tightly around a gun. Was she going to shoot Wanda?

The sound of glass breaking beneath Steve's boots startled Wanda, and her eyes glossed over in that scarlet hue of her magic, and for a moment, he thought she was going to attack him, but she quickly shook her head, rubbing her eyes, only to mask them in the blood of their enemies.

"Where's Pietro?" she asked, her voice hoarse.

Natasha stuck the gun in her belt and looked over at Steve.

"I found him in the woods, but, he's fine. Everyone is fine, just a little bruised up."

Wanda closed her eyes briefly, placing her hand on her stomach.

How could someone do what she did? The rage she must have felt...

"Wanda, you need to sit down, okay? I'm going to get your some water and we're going to take a minute to breathe and clear our heads." Natasha limped over to the kitchen, her own face bloody with cuts to her lips and cheeks. She didn't look like the stealthy assassin he'd known for years. She looked withered and broken and tired. Very, very tired.