Chapter 2

||"He saw the darkness in her beauty; she saw the beauty in his darkness."||

The city was just as she remembered it: loud, bright, and beautiful. As their taxi drove them to the Stark tower, she kept her eyes out the window, staring at everything as if she were seeing it for the first time.

Her eyes ventured from one building to the next as they drove, and as the minutes ticked by, they got closer and closer to Tony's tower, and her nerves grew hot. No one would be there except for Tony and Pepper, and maybe Natasha, and that made her feel a little better. 

She wasn't ready to see Steve, not yet. 

When they arrived at the tower, Pietro grabbed her hand, and she took in a deep breath before getting out of the car. 

It was almost midnight, and the tower seemed to grow quieter as they walked to the elevators. Wanda almost forgot how quiet it got at this hour, and when they stepped into the elevator, she released her brother's hand and pressed the button to Tony's apartment floor. 

Subconsciously, her thoughts ventured to that one day Steve took her out into the city. He had spent the entire day with her, without complaining about her dragging him everywhere, and even staring down the men who looked her way for too long. They were small gestures, but she had seen them, and maybe it was then when she began falling in love with him. 

The elevator doors opened, and the only light in Tony's apartment that was on was the one from the bar and his lab upstairs. She could see him working in his lab, his shoulders hunched as he looked down at his computer, while his hands waved through the air, most likely talking to Jarvis. 

As if on cue, he turned, and she wondered if he could see them, but she knew Jarvis had alerted him of their arrival, because a second later, he was running out of his lab and down the stairs. Her heart leaped, and she felt her eyes grow hot with tears of excitement. 

Wanda dropped her bag on the floor and proceeded to walk to him, and his smile grew as she got closer. She felt the tears before she realized she was crying, and Tony met her halfway and wrapped her in a hug. He smelled of the familiar cologne he always wore, and she dug her face into his chest and hugged him back. 

Almost immediately, she was taken back to the night she had to say goodbye to him, and it felt like the longest time since she'd seen him, but he felt so familiar, so comfortable, and she couldn't even comprehend how she didn't want to come back here. Why was she so afraid of coming back when the people here showed nothing but love toward her? Why was that feeling inside of her trying to pull her away from all of this?

She unwrapped her arms from around him and stepped back, inspecting his face. He looked the same, save for his hair (It had grown thicker and longer) and she stopped herself from pulling at it like she did with Pietro. "Is Pepper home?" she asked, peeking over Tony's shoulder toward the staircase. 

"Yeah, she's asleep. I'd wake her but...I don't want to," he said, and Wanda's laugh, although hushed, warmed her body. "I'll have Mick bring up your bags in the morning, but you go ahead and get comfortable. Not much has changed around here, clearly."

Wanda took a step toward the balcony, but stopped. She didn't care about the apartment, or refreshing her memory as to what she forgot and what she didn't. All she could think about were the others, and when and where she'd see them. For some reason, seeing Tony made her want nothing more than to see the others. She needed to know if they were happy to see her; if they were excited she was back. 

"Natasha isn't here?" she said, almost speaking to herself. 

"She's actually in Brooklyn, but she should be on her way back. I'm sure she'll be here when you wake up."