Chapter 43

||"When you see your eyes reflecting in hers, you know she's something special."||

Two weeks passed.

There was no sign of Markus, and no trace of where he'd gone or who was on his side.

Though Wanda spent most of her time at the mansion with the Professor and Jean, she knew back at the compound, the rest of the team was on edge.

Everyone, including her, was holding their breath.

Instead of Nik joining her to the school, it had been Natasha who had decided to join her. The two long weeks that had passed had left Nik completely exhausted, so Wanda left him at the compound to rest.

"I think next time I'll wait in the foyer," Natasha said as they headed out to the car. Jean and Wanda spent three hours training together, working on her shielding and her hex blasts. By the time she walked out of the Danger Room, she was sweating bullets, limp with fatigue, and hungry for food. "Watching you through that glass floor made me nauseas."

Wanda smiled, saying, "that bad?"

Natasha and Wanda got into the car, Natasha muttering about how Wanda's scarlet magic shooting back and forth can only look cool for so long before the eyes start playing tricks on you, and as Wanda buckled herself in, the front doors of the mansion flew open, and Katarina's gold hair popped out, that beautiful face sullen with worry.

"Natasha..." Wanda breathed out, and Natasha looked out and stared at Katarina as she made her way over to the car. Wanda rolled down her window, and Katarina's frightened expression came into clear view, and those enthralling brown eyes held nothing but fear. Wanda was tempted to see what Katarina was so afraid of, if only she could get close enough...

"Listen carefully," Katarina said, pulling Wanda out of her thoughts. "When I went to visit my dad two weeks ago, he told me that something was coming, and that you're all in danger. I wanted to tell you that night when we came back, but..." Katarina looked around, as if afraid someone would hear. "I didn't believe him, I mean, at first I did. But I kept telling myself he was lying because it's what he does—he lies."

Wanda and Natasha shared a glance.

"But...you've been coming here every day, and every time I see you, I keep thinking what if something were to happen? And I did nothing to stop it?"

Natasha put the car in drive, then she pressed a button, and the door behind Wanda opened.

"Get in," Natasha said, and Katarina stared at her, dumbfounded. "I'll bring you back."

As if those four words were enough reassurance for her, Katarina climbed in, and they sped off for the compound.

"Why would Trask say that?" Wanda asked, turning in her seat to look back at Katarina. That fearful expression was still plastered over her gorgeous face, and when her chocolate eyes went still for a second, Wanda knew she was about to hear information that wasn't usually shared.

"My dad...he's a mutant," Katarina frowned. "Ironic, isn't it?"

A mutant

Wanda had trouble grasping the fact that Larry Trask, the man who was once ready to wipe the mutant existence off the map, was also one of them.

Once at the compound, the three of them hurried inside, and Wanda twisted the rings on her finger as she walked quickly behind Katarina and Natasha. What kind of mutant was Trask? What was he capable of? By danger, did he mean Markus? Wanda had so many questions, but when they entered the living room, when everyone looked toward them, she felt her mind go blank.