Chapter 54

||"Her eyes were like the universe. Maybe because I couldn't understand them at all and still loved everything about them."||

While everyone was out in the living room, Wanda sat out on the balcony, wrapped in a blanket, a cup of hot cocoa in her hands.

Since the outside lights of the compound were shut off for obvious reason, she was left with the moonlight and the stars, which were shining so fiercely tonight. She had hoped Tony and Steve would be back in time for dinner, but they never showed, so they ate without them, and she was glad to find herself content with the company of everyone around her.

To her delight, Crystal had kept her mouth shut about Katarina, and even held a decent conversation with her about their powers for quite a while. Even Pietro was surprised.

And after dinner, they all sat around the living room, talking about everything that didn't involve Markus or training or alarms, which satisfied Wanda completely.

But after a while, she'd cozied up on the balcony and stared up at the sky, which was illuminated by both the distant city lights, and the shimmering stars.

The balcony doors slid open, and Wanda turned her head to see Emma's sweet face. "Can I join you," she asked, and Wanda opened up her blanket, allowing Emma to sit down next her. They got comfortable beside each other, and Emma refused kindly when Wanda offered her some hot cocoa.

"Do you think they'll be back soon?" Wanda asked, shivering as the warmth of her mug traveled down her arms. "It's been hours."

"I'm sure they have a reason," Emma answered, resting her chin on her hand.

Wanda had noticed earlier how differently Emma was dressed, but it wasn't until now, with her platinum hair up in a high ponytail, and her face fresh of makeup, that Wanda saw a woman who was just that—a woman. Not some queen.

Ever since meeting her, Wanda had placed Emma on a pedestal, looking up at her as someone who was regal and dangerous and graceful. There was always a sense of safety and pride when someone was near Emma, and that's the feeling that Wanda had always felt when she was around her, but tonight, things were different.

Emma was showing everyone the softer side of herself, the side that not many people got the privilege to see.

"So, are you feeling better?" Emma asked, reminding Wanda of her odd wave of sickness earlier today.

"Yeah, I think so," she said, finishing up her drink. "I don't feel anything at the moment, so I'm pretty sure it's nothing to worry about."

"Let's hope," Emma commented, and Wanda tried not to take her answer too literally, because Wanda knew what it felt like to get sick before, and the feeling she had earlier today proved that maybe she was catching a cold. The seasons were changing and the air was cooler and her body was just adjusting.

That was it.

Then again, what else could it be?

"Hey, guys," Cas came out onto the balcony, looking out toward the long driveway that vanished through the tunnel of trees. "They're back."

Wanda sat up, nearly tumbling over, and peered her eyes at the opening of the trees, where after a few seconds, headlights flashed through. Tony's lavish car sped through, stopping just a few feet away from the garage doors. Where Wanda sat, she couldn't see much, but she could recognize Steve's build anywhere, and knowing they were both back safely calmed her bubbling nerves.

Ten minutes later, Steve and Tony appeared through the living room doors, their expressions lacking their usual attitude. So it was obvious that their meeting with Rhodey didn't go as well as they probably assumed it would.