Chapter 6

||"True, you were forged by stars, but do not forget, one day, stars will be forged from you."||

The entire day—through lunch and her training—Wanda kept thinking about her talk with Emma, and how Charles Xavier wanted to meet her. She couldn't figure out if the nerves she felt were from fear or excitement, but there was one thing she was sure of: she'd be heading to Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters at the end of the week.

She'd be accompanied by Pietro, of course, but it was also surprising to find out that Steve wanted to join as well.

"You really want to go with us?" she asked from his door, and he turned around, his eyes bright with content.

"Is that okay with you? I don't have to go, not unless you want me to," he placed a small bag on his bed and walked up to her, his towering height seemed to grow the closer he got, and Wanda shook away her excitement. He stopped just a few inches away, and she held back her smile as her eyes traveled up to meet his eyes.

"I'd like it very much if you went with us," she told him, her voice a soft whisper. He reached up to touch her face, but then pulled away, taking a respective step back. It was obvious that their physical interaction was going to be put on hold for a while, and she wished it didn't have to be, because in all honesty, she wanted to wrap her arms around him and run her hands through his hair and kiss his face for the rest of her life, but they still had a lot to talk about, and that meant keeping their hands to themselves until then.

Her eyes wandered away from him, and she took a second to look around his room, and she noticed that it was particularly clean—a lot cleaner than the last time she saw his room, and then it occurred to her that he hadn't been here that long. "You don't stay here anymore?" she asked, her eyes staring straight at the bag on his bed.

Steve moved aside and grabbed his coat from the table beside him before answering. "I got a place in Brooklyn a few weeks after you left, and I stay there most of the time—all of the time actually. It's closer to Bucky, and I've got my own space to relax."

"Oh," she muttered, her hand running along the soft pillow. It was hard not to think about that night; it was a night she'd never forget, a night she never wanted to forget. Just the thought of it made her mouth water. "Are you going home?" she asked, forcing the image of him above her out of her head.

"I was going back to get some clothes," he said, pulling up his hoodie. It made him look younger for some reason, she thought to herself. "Do you want to join me? My place isn't a mess, I promise," he said with a cheeky smile, and she nodded immediately, finding it difficult to resist his invitation. "Here, take this," he unzipped his bag and pulled out a sweater, and she held it in her hands for a moment before putting it on.

The scent of him lifted off from the sweater like mist, and she took a deep breath of him in, relishing it. The sweater itself was too big and hung loosely from her body, but it felt soft and comfortable. It felt like Steve.

"Come on, I've got a car waiting," he lent out his hand, and she grabbed it willingly. Their fingers interlocked, and she leaned in against him as they walked out of his room and down the hall. When they got to the elevator, she thought of Pietro.

"Wait," she said, pulling her hand away. "I should tell Pietro where I'm going, can I meet you in the lobby?"

"Yeah, I'll wait for you," he stepped into the elevator and she waited until the doors closed before running back down the hall towards her brother's room. His door was slightly open when she reached it, and she poked her head inside and searched for his silver hair.

Pietro was sitting in the corner, legs crossed, and a book on his lap. The last time she saw her brother with a book was when they were younger, and it was only because their mother had forced him to read it, and Wanda would always mock him when their mother wasn't looking. Yet, here he was, reading at his own will.