Chapter 16

||"All these sorrows I have seen, they led me to believe that everything's a mess."||

Her eyes watered as she closed the bathroom door behind her.

Slowly, she stepped up to the sink, raising her head so that she could look herself in the mirror.

Nothing had changed about her that she could see, but it was clear that something was changing, she just couldn't see it happening.

The morning had started off so perfect: waking up in Steve's embrace; having breakfast with him and Bucky; driving through the city with Steve, enjoying herself so much that time had completely left her mind. And most of all, coming back home to her brother...and Vision.

Seeing Vision made her stomach flutter in ways she couldn't control. He was someone she always thought as ethereal—someone untouchable.

Her eyes wandered back up the mirror, and she pulled her shirt off and stared at her chest and stomach for five minutes. After sitting thoughtless for minutes, she decided to try something.

Her hands came up to her stomach, and she could see the tips of her fingers beginning to glow. With ease, she lay her hands flat on her belly and allowed her magic to seep into her own body. Wanda closed her eyes and opened herself up to every emotion and fear that she knew lived inside of herself.

There was no way of explaining what she really felt, but she could still feel whatever it was that was in there sitting in her body, waiting for the perfect moment to slither out of her weak grasp.

That's what it was—a weak grasp of a hold, and her mind and her self-control was hanging on by a very thin thread.

It was only when she was alone and when she was under pressure that she felt that hold begin to slip.

Wanda stayed in the bathroom for an hour before walking out, her head somewhat clear, and her mood somewhat lighter. Though she wanted to know what Vision told Steve, she knew she'd have Charles tell her, and she was willing to wait a few more days before finding out what was really wrong. 

Was she ready to find out? She didn't really know, but she didn't want to walk around with this thought that people were still afraid of her. 

The last thing she wanted was to be looked at as an unpredictable experiment again.

That part of her life was over, and she just wanted to move on.

Vision was still standing near the balcony when she got out of the elevator on Tony's floor. No one else was around, but Wanda could hear Steve and Tony speaking up in his lab upstairs. She took a second to feel for Pietro--trying to pinpoint where he was--and she figured out he was down in his room. 

With a inhale of a breath, she made her way over to Vision.

"A beautiful day, isn't it?" he commented when she reached him, and she looked out over the city and blinked, taking in the view she'd grown to love so much. The buildings, the people, the sounds--none of that was in Sokovia, which, for Wanda, was a blessing and curse during those first few weeks.

"Yes, it is," she said, her eyes moving up to the sky. The clouds were thick and white, the sky itself bright and clear, and the air, fresh and cool. It really was a beautiful day. 

"Miss Wanda," he started, moving aside so that he could face her. "Why return?" he asked, gazing down at her with that intense stare. It was hard to look away from his eyes, especially when he had no true understanding of how invasive it felt to be stared at to intensely. "Things were good for you, were they not?"